Recent content by marcoi

1. marcoi

5019D-FN8TP-X11SDV-4C-TP8F New in Box $500

That made it easier for me to pass this deal lol.
  2. marcoi

this is what im thinking of doing myself. Just setup pfsense and a few key VMs on that one box and leave the rest of VMs running on servers i currently have.
  3. marcoi

what would memory costs be for it? looking for 4x16GB or 8GB. Trying to get a sense for total investment.
  4. marcoi

STH Turns 12 and Some Thank Yous

here is to another 12 year!!! i need a place to browse daily so it purely for selfish needs.
  5. marcoi

Anyone getting back in lately?

Those in the post crash market still keeping their equipment or dumping them? I purchased 2 prebuilt systems with 3090 cards. The cards on ebay are going for more then i paid for the systems. So i can sell them and make a little more then my purchase money back. Or i can keep mining at the lower...
  6. marcoi

Time to talk about Doge...

doge just hit coinbase, they were offering a sweepstake recently. if you bought 100 dollars you had a chance to win 300k. I got it around .35 since most of my investments were coming from mining rigs. Figured at 100 not big deal if i lost it. I dont think i would long term invest in it...
  7. marcoi

THE CHIA FARM

so i have a nicely loaded dell r720 with 2x e5-2680v2, 256gb ram and modified 8+8 bay 2.5 trays, original 8 bays are sas2 connected to internal raid card which was upgraded and the other 8 bay is sas3 from a newer dell r730 added and runs off a internal lsi card. It also has an external sas 3...
  8. marcoi

Netgate removed all mention of pfSense from their website + Major Regressions in pfSense 2.5 and newer

i think I'm limited to one of the *sense since i am using wpa_supplicant for ATT Router replacement. Currently I am on PFSense 2.4 and using it as head FW, for my home network, i pass a static ip down to Sophos UTM and use it for additional protection. PFsense only acts as a router for ATT and...
  9. marcoi

QNAP TVS-h1288X 12-bay NAS Review

well my unit arrives today. I pulled some SSD from my other server that i will use to fill the 4 bay 2.5 and i also have the 1 m.2 drive. That will let me play with the unit under my new lab build out. I am hoping to reduce the work needed to maintain a server/truenas combo with my current...
  10. marcoi

How to make SuperMicro 946ED-R2KJBOD quieter?

you may want to look into a Soundproof Server Rack and an standalone AC unit so you dont fry those HDDs. With that density you dont want to mess with the fans or airflow.
  11. marcoi

storage gold rush?

there was another crypto that used HDD for mining, as space was important, i forget the name of it now. As for chia, seems like sustained throughput is more important. Again im just quickly grabbing the info off of their FAQ so no expert here.
  12. marcoi

storage gold rush?

i guess there is may 3 start date for chia, but i think this is crypto mania for large farmers trying to get in on ground level. Chia faq recommending enterprise drives vs consumer due to TWD being high. IDK when it will flop.
  13. marcoi

storage gold rush?

i think i head chia mining uses HDD space so people are buying them up for that. Maybe ill list my huh ssd for super high pricing to see if anyone bites lol.
  14. marcoi

Qlocker ransomware 2021-04-22 for QNAP NAS

Getting my first qnap nas in a few days, so this is of interest. Thanks for pointing it out. Quick read seems like if nas is exposed to internet is how it gets affected, is that correct assumption?