Recent content by madbrain

1. M

My Opensense build

For 10/20 Gbps of throughput, I don't believe it's overpowered. What parts would you specify that result in lower system power consumption while still being able to handle that throughput ?
  2. M

My Opensense build

RAIDMax ATX-298WY ATX case (this is a mini-tower, bought for $25 at Fry's years ago) Bequiet BN639 SFX silent power supply (with ATX plate adapter) . $109 at Central computers. AMD Ryzen 5700G APU . $178 on Amazon . Noctua NH-D15S CPU cooler with lone fan removed . $89 on Amazon. 2 x 8GB...
  3. M

HORACO 9 Port 2 5G + SFP+ Uplink Fanless Switch for $95

How do they handle warranty ? Send back to China ? Fanless multi-gig stuff has a tendency to die unfortunately. I'm looking at you TP-Link with the SX105 . Had one die at about a year. They honored the lifetime warranty, though. Even paid shipping.
  4. M

2 x Aquantia 10 Gbase-T AQN-107 NICs

Handles 2.5/5/10GBASE-T. Also 100/1000BASE-T. PCIe 3.0 x4. Works in x8 and x16 slots also. Will get full speed even in a 2.0 slot. $70 for one NIC. $120 for both. Free shipping through continental US. Pay by paypal.
  5. M

Help with HP 9207-4i4e needed - firmware update problem. LSI SAS2308

Yeah, I don't know. I think there must be another recovery ROM for the 2308, and it isn't currently on the public Internet. I suspect LSI has it, though. My Google searches found references to an LSI CD with multiple recovery ROM on them. I forget where now. I'm not currently booting off...
  6. M

Very happy to report that I managed to recover the card. Thank you very much for your help, Pheckphul . I owe you a beer. Or some wine. What I did that eventually led to the revival : - SAS card was moved to my HTPC with an Asus Pro X470 motherboard and AMD 2700 CPU - booted FreeDOS and ran...
  7. M

Interesting. As long we are talking 8 HDDs, PCIe 2.0 is enough. But with 8+ SSDs then you really want PCIe 3.0 . My main desktop was just upgraded to something that supports PCIe 4.0. Looking forward to a cheap PCIe 4.0 16i card to take 16 SSDs. Right now, I have 8 Samsung 860 EVO SSDs in a...
  8. M

They are even closer to me :) I shop at Lowe's near their location sometimes. Motherboard swap sucks, though.
  9. M

I'm extremely stubborn. For now, my NAS is running without this 9217-4i4e card, and thus 10 watts cooler. I was only using 3 internal SATA ports on the internal SAS connector. The external SAS connector was unused. I had exactly 3 SATA ports left on the Intel motherboard SATA ports. Getting...
  10. M

Yeah, it's really weird that it's not accepting your flash image. Did you save it with the P20 version of sas2flash.efi ? If so, it really should accept it, since I'm using the same version. If you saved it with some older version, please let me know, and I can try the same sas2flash.efi ...
  11. M

Thanks, that makes sense. I believe both the 9217-4i4e and 9207-4i4e are based on the SAS2308 chip, so I would not be able to use firmware for the SAS2208 chip. At this point, I'll really take any firmware that can revive it, though.
  12. M

FYI, I posted a thread at Recovering firmware for HP H222 SAS controller (LSI 9217-4i4e) - is my card bricked ? . Maybe someone at HPE will know what to do .
  13. M

I think you forgot they were also Symbios Logic before they were LSI. Unforgivable :-).
  14. M

Flash M1015 to IT mode: error: Firmware Host Boot Failed

Which of course isn't the case for me, and probably not for OP either.
  15. M

Will try to extract manually. But it looks like nothing is flashing so far. What commands would I use to flash it with megarec ? I tried "megarec.exe -m0flash 0 origfl~1" (8.3 version of origflash) and I got the message "Invalid Flash image. Error in programming image into Flash. Error code...