Recent content by Macx979

1. M

Move from dual cpu server to single cpu to reduce power consumption

you could also argue that nobody really needs a home lab or a car with more than 50 horse powers. ;) But having both of it, is nothing particular rational but rather having fun using it. :) I think it's all about the purpose. I you know your demands exactly you can size the hardware to fit...
  2. M

currently I have a Mikrotik CRS326-24G-2S+RM and a CRS317-1G-16S+RM. I bought the latter since I was planing to use more than 4x 10Gb and you hardly find any switch with more than 4Gb SFP+ besides the full blown all SFP models. So, I don't need more than 4 SFP+ anymore, I'm going to replace both...
  3. M

I agree. :) Actually I had a look at this. Especially these one-panel-systems for balconies, since I live for rent. But even tough it's called plug and play we have too many regulations and bureaucracy over here which pushes the return of invest too far into the future. And it could even come...
  4. M

I haven't actually thought about the 10G network in terms of power consumption. Had a look at the specs of my intel X540-T2 - max is 17,4W but most likely the idle power is much lower. Power consumption (max): 100Mbps 6.6W, 1 Gbps 9.5W, 10 Gbps 17.4W Operating voltage: 3.3V and 12V retiring...
  5. M

ACPI P-states, ACPI C-states was already activated. I even went with Low power instead of balanced which gave me another couple of watts. In Germany power is also ridiculously expensive. 29 euro cents which is roughly 33 dollar cents. That's actually the reason why I am optimizing my power...
  6. M

That's a good idea. But I guess it doesn't make much of a difference when idling. 55 to 77 Watts is almost 30%. So that's actually quite some saving. I just did the test and removed one CPU. I measured the power of my server for each state. The results are quite impressive. Power of...
  7. M

That's actually something I also thought about. I have an additional small server with a Celeron J4105. But as far as I know, using ESXI doesn't work well out of the box on this machine. Docker could be an option however. Most likely the cheapest way to save some power could be to deactivate...
  8. M

Additionally there is a Dual 10GbE NIC in there as well as 6 Noctua fans of different sizes. I already tweaked out whatever power saving feature was possible. I think you guys agree that there is a difference between an enterprise server and a home lab server. In an enterprise environment you...
  9. M

haven't tought about it. I guess it's because of the price point. e.g. CPU cost, DDR4 etc. Which cpu do you have in mind?
  10. M

Hi, as the title says, I am about to reduce the overall power consumption of my server rack and its components. Among other devices I run a Supermicro X9DRi-LNF+ mainboard with 2x e5-2660v2 with 128GB DDR3 ECC. Basically that's too much power for my homelab but I got this set some time ago on...