Recent content by llowrey

1. L

SOLVED Mellanox SX6036 + LR4 Transceivers does not work

Yes. The modded firmware removes the power restriction on all ports. That, combined with the above command enables LR4 optics on all ports. I don't want to publish the firmware publicly since there is some risk so feel free to DM me and I'll send you the info. More than a dozen people have used...
  2. L

Arista QSFP-40G-U 40G QSFP+ BiDi $25

There's only 3 left at the first listing, which is the seller I bought from, but it's a good price for these modules. I can't vouch for the modules from the second seller. These are LC BiDi 40G modules that work with both MMF and SMF (can confirm). Moreover, with SMF, they also work when paired...
  3. L

"Seeker" 8x2.5G 4x10G SFP+ managed switch

This one is more expensive when you factor shipping to the US, $74 vs $21. Other than that, seems like the same hardware.
  4. L

ASRock Rack B650D4U IPMI/BCM question

The manuals have block diagrams which show how the lanes are connected
  5. L

Cleaning SAS backplane connectors

After doing an absurd amount of testing to reduce variables, I'm left with my problems likely being due to the type of SAS connector on the backplanes. This Norco chassis has 5 separate passive backplanes. All five are identical, except, two boards have SAS connectors that are different from...
  6. L

Good suggestion. I put one SATA back in the chassis and it only negotiated 3Gbps (SATA Version is: SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)) Interestingly, the SAS drives all negotiated 12Gbps even though the links are not completely reliable.
  7. L

In the case of the SAS drives it's: sd 33:0:155:0: [sdaa] tag#2242 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_OK cmd_age=0s sd 33:0:155:0: [sdaa] tag#2242 Sense Key : Aborted Command [current] [descriptor] sd 33:0:155:0: [sdaa] tag#2242 Add. Sense: Ack/nak timeout sd 33:0:155:0: [sdaa]...
  8. L

The chassis in question is at the end of a daisy-chain with one JBOD in the middle. External cables are 2m [hba -> 0.5m -> expander] -> 2m -> [ expander ] ->2m -> [ expander -> 0.75m -> sas/sata drive] So, the max signal-lenghth is 2m and at SAS signaling and 0.75m at SATA signaling.
  9. L

internal cables were all either 0.5m or 0.75m
  10. L

I recently acquired a second hand (at least!) chassis with SAS backplanes. I've been having a ton of trouble with it. I first put in a bunch of old SATA drives but they all were constantly erroring and when the did work, they were unusually slow. I then swapped them out and put in 12g SAS drives...
  11. L

CX-4 SR-IOV on ROMED8-2T not working

My ASRock Rack EPYCD8 gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a ROMED8-2T. After replacing the motherboard I can't get SR-IOV working for my CX-4. It used to work just fine. The only difference is the motherboard, everything else is unchanged. SR-IOV works just fine for the onboard Intel...
  12. L

The two boards with 10GbE use 4 lanes from the B650 for the controller. The one board without 10GbE uses those 4 lanes for a second m.2 that's located at the back of the board.
  13. L

BCM in this case indicates that the 10g nic is Broadcom as opposed to Intel. The board without the BCM does not have onboard 10g of either kind. All three have the same ast2600 bmc ipmi. IMO the one without 10g is the better option since it has a second m.2 which can be turned into an...
  14. L

[WTS-US-FL] Norco RPC-4224/4220 + Supermicro JBOD Stuff + FREE Items

I'm interested in the Norco gear, and maybe the hbcs. I'll be passing through Orlando on Wednesday. Will PM.
  15. L

Server Chassis for U.2 NVME drives server build.

My solution is a bit basic but works well if you have a 4U chassis and don't need hot-swap: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NCFQ6SX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details It's important to make sure there's enough airflow going past the drives, but for my drives, it only takes a little bit to...