Recent content by Kurly_B

1. K

The BookShelf Server

Update - Just ordered (4) ST2000DM001, and a new TP-Link 16 port unmanaged switch, and (2) Single slot Radeon 7750's. Haven't started the Wood Work yet. Haven't had the time. Chomping at the bit, but family drama, 1 wedding and a funeral. Having an issue with the OS. Not sure anymore, any...
  2. K

The BookShelf Server

Hi all. Not really made any progress. Haven't had time to work on the system. My wife had a death in the family on the same day as my daughter's first birthday :( , and she had to go over to the house to pronounce and sign the death certificate (she's a doctor), :mad: Been a little strange...
  3. K

The BookShelf Server

I have successfully booted funtoo linux with uefi boot...... nice!!!!! custom kernel and all, no bootloader - grub or extlinux, straight UEFI. Update: Running board at idle, no air-conditioning running, in the original setup, this is sensors output: localhost ~ # sensors coretemp-isa-0000...
  4. K

The BookShelf Server

Just set make.conf to MAKEOPTS="-j25" heheheheh
  5. K

The BookShelf Server

Thanks PigLover, great info. I think putting the fans at the top is easier for me anyway. Working on the the cable routing. Update on the parts, just got everything, and have it booted up, running a quick funtoo install ( if there is such a thing ), to test it. Really excited just to see this...
  6. K

The BookShelf Server

Funny you mention the fans, I was researching the Noctura 140mm last night, and added 4 of them to my amazon cart. Not sure about the model though, any insight. The NF-A14 PWM seems to be the more general use fans, has all the latest advances in their fan technology, and are reasonably priced...
  7. K

The BookShelf Server

@ Biren78 - It's not the shipping, it's customs and duty. 10% on the item including the shipping. Example, $200 cpu, $50 shipping, C & D is $25. So the item just cost me $275, that's 33% over cost of item. 10% duty is only on computer parts, other stuff is anywhere from free to 85% duty. And...
  8. K

The BookShelf Server

I just use the free version of Sketchup. Does everything that I need. Revit would be nice, but at $5,000 a seat, I think I'll just keep using Sketchup. @gavin - Yeah I know the fan / noise issue is coming down the pipe. Really not sure about how to deal with it. Still working it out. The...
  9. K

The BookShelf Server

nVidiots, that's funny. Yeah my g210 transcodes fine. The (4) gpu are just for future maybe, haven't committed to anything. I wanted to have the option at a later date. This is my hobby, fun, therapy, what have you. Just wanted the options, cause lets face it, how often does one build a box...
  10. K

The BookShelf Server

AirFlow The air flow is an issue. The more I think about it, the more I'm glad I haven't actually cut the bookcase yet. I relaid out the components vertically, io port on top, in sketchup, but the cpu's are inline. The 2nd cpu flows into the 1st cpu. This would be the same with the IO...
  11. K

Windows home server 2011 Re sharing a zfs volume

I wanted a Wife friendly picture, iTunes, home video, document storage interface. I want my data on zfs. I was just going to try it, for $50 it was shot in the dark. I have a windows 7 64bit. Not to sure about win8 yet. I don't really need a desktop, my macbook pro is just fine, and the wife...
  12. K

The BookShelf Server

The bookshelf is 6 inches from the wall and vented at top. As far as the CPU's go, already ordered them, they will be on island Monday - Tuesday, along with the ram, and power supply. I was planning on an ATI 7750 single slot cards. The internet consensus is that xen works best with ATI Cards...
  13. K

The BookShelf Server

Current P5N-T This is my current system, which I have partially disassembled. This is a ISO view airflow mockup with the LSI and Future (4) single slot video cards. Here's the side view. The airflow might be an issue for the 1st cpu, I might construct a duct to route the...
  14. K

The BookShelf Server

Yeah, I think so too. But I kept buying an item here, piece there, all, each and every item or part was a to fit a consumer board. And living where I do, Customs and Duty, local suppliers would charge me the same for a consumer level setup, I know, I checked. Example, they wanted $400 for a...
  15. K

Windows home server 2011 Re sharing a zfs volume

Hi all, I'm building a new all in one, with zfs backed storage, and was hoping to use WHS 2011 as a front end to my zfs array. I read that I can do a iscsi setup, but I really just want to reshare the array not add another layer. Is it possible, and still get the libraries and all. Kinda...