Recent content by kiwimonk

1. K

Cheap Intel Pentium N6005 4x 2.5GbE Fanless Firewall and Router Review

Noticed the 6 ports options on Aliexpress. The future proofer in me may not even need 4 ports yet, but a 6 port is even better! I wonder if there little processors can actually take advantage of that much throughput.
  2. K

WD 8TB helium drives

I finally got my 6 drives in. Took them out of the Duo cases.. They are WDC WD80EFZX... Good times ;)
  3. K

WD 8TB helium drives

Just placed an order for 3x 16GB My Book Duo. They may take a few weeks to show up, but I'll update once I have them in hand.
  4. K

WD 8TB helium drives

Anyone have any luck with the WD My Book Duo 16TB? I'm thinking about picking up a few if they are really the Red Drives.
  5. K

RAID controllers power consumption

Does anyone know what SAS3008 pulls?
  6. K

Intel D-1518 or Xeon E2-1220v3?

The external NIC is for his second computer in the Xe0n-D build... Since the board already comes with onboard copper 10G. The Xeon E3 board comes with a HBA onboard, so the situation is reversed.
  7. K

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

I don't need much in terms of performance, so I'm leaning towards the D-1528. Basically it's going to replace my nas, so Raid 6 BTRFS.. Probably with ESXi on the metal and Xpenology managing the drives. The power where I live is the most expensive power in the US, so draw is a huge concern...
  8. K

Intel D-1518 or Xeon E2-1220v3?

I've been looking at the same kind of setup. You actually wouldn't be able to run v5 chip in that motherboard as it's FCLGA1150, but a v4 would work. I'm personally leaning towards the Xeon-D since it should draw less power. BTRFS is also my goal. I tested RockStor in a VM for a bit and...
  9. K

I'm looking to build a low power always on system, and I'm having trouble finding data to compare the different versions of the xeon-d power usage wise. Does anyone know what the idle /maxed power consumption is for a D-1541? The D-1528 board review lists the stats.. Haven't found any similar...
  10. K

Anyone know when the Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN4F or X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F boards will be up for sale in the US? I'd love to throw one of the lower TDP boards into a NAS, but it seems like it may be a while...