Recent content by KingKaido

1. K

2024 AM5 Server builds (limited motherboard overview)

I feel you, it does seem like AMD is constantly just playing catch-up and is just raw performance/efficiency king (due to TSMC) but they don't really innovate or validate configurations for niche usecases like intel AMD does have bifurcation support intel could level the playing field if they...
  2. K

That's a very good point it would suck to have to wait until Zen 6 to get more PCIe lanes, check this article that just got released https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-reportedly-preparing-amd-x690e-pro-ws-workstation-motherboards Hopefully X690e supports 128GB ECC R-DIMMS for 512GB total (hehehe)...
  3. K

I think the new motherboard 'cycle' for Ryzen 7000 is over, everyone is waiting for Zen 5 which is due at Q2/3 this year, but yeah i agree a server/workstation motherboard with 3 x X8 slots and 2 M.2s would be amazing for me, or having x8 x8 x4 and 2 M.2 slots then with an x8 chipset having a...
  4. K

Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

4P + 4E cores so 12 threads in total and without none of the specs changing, that's still pretty powerful, this product keeps on getting more and more interesting
  5. K

UGREEN NASync

I really like the DXP4800 Plus, the CPU it's using can support 64GB RAM based on Intel ark(assuming it's got 2 upgradable ram slots), has 1P core and 4 e cores, so decently powerful, it's got 4 bays, 2 x m.2, 10gbe + 2x2.5Gbe, it's a nice AIO, We just gotta hope the the prices fall close to...
  6. K

Minisforum MS-01 - 2 x 10Gbe SFP+, 2 x 2.5Gbe RJ45, 3 x NVMe, 1 x U.2, 1 x PCI 4.0 x 16 slot & vPro

My bad i was misinformed, on another note (a genuine question not sarcasm), maybe I'm used to Raid1 'ing most of my SSDs as a best practise for minimal downtime, but when would you use a single U.2 drive in a system? Assuming you're using ZFS or a hypervisor, they'd be no way to know if the...
  7. K

ienRon 22 Port 2.5G Managed Layer 3 Network Switch, 16 x 2.5 Gigabit Base-T Ports, 6 x 10 Gigabit SFP Switch, Ethernet Switch, Smart Switch, Flexible

It looks like it does based on the 2nd image of the Amazon listing, i wonder why it doesn't mention the max W of the switch or the poe or poe+ W per port
  8. K

ienRon 22 Port 2.5G Managed Layer 3 Network Switch, 16 x 2.5 Gigabit Base-T Ports, 6 x 10 Gigabit SFP Switch, Ethernet Switch, Smart Switch, Flexible

Are you able to measure the idle draw or with a few cables plugged in? This looks like a very interesting switch! A ubiquiti version of this would cost 800$+
  9. K

Minisforum MS-01 - 2 x 10Gbe SFP+, 2 x 2.5Gbe RJ45, 3 x NVMe, 1 x U.2, 1 x PCI 4.0 x 16 slot & vPro

I really like this product, but the x8 slots seems wasted, like what can you actually put in it (it's a Half-height, single-slot)? And the U.2 9mm restriction is annoying since most are 15mm these days, also the 2TB M.2 limit due to insufficient cooling for dual sided M.2s I hope they make a...
  10. K

Multi-NVMe (m.2, u.2) adapters that do not require bifurcation

From the help of this forum i found these 2 interesting products, QNAP QDA-U2MP 2 x M.2 to U.2 adapter and the OWC U.2 Shuttle 4 x M.2 to U.2 adapter, the latter being very similar to the Viking Enterprise U20040 adapter mentioned above, but with the benefit of OWC providing products to...
  11. K

i don't think it'll impact latency noticeably but i could be misinformed, but also instead of getting the highpoint card you could get a similar PCIe 3.0 version of the card for alot cheaper CEACENT CNS44PE16 with PLX8748 Built-in PCIe Bifurcation seeing as you'll be using PCIe 3.0 devices
  12. K

That is pretty cool! it has a built in pcie switch to handle 4 m.2, the only minor downside is the PCIe 3.0 x 4 speeds but 32Gb/s (4GB/s) is good enough, especially for 10/25Gb networks Edit: if my theory is correct, if you use a LSI 9500-16i HBA and using one of the SFF-8654 ports to 2 x U.2...
  13. K

It's an interesting one, but the way i interpreted based on the manual it (i definitely could be wrong) for example if you have an 8i card(which has 8 lanes of sata/sas), split by 2 ports on the card(x4 each), the bandwidth is split via the 2 ports, so if you was to to put it in a pcie 3.0 x4...
  14. K

Wow! That is an amazing system, you have everything haha, amazing ST and MT performance, plenty of storage that is fast and silent, and you even have a GPU haha, literally the dream, what is your idle power like with an the things connected? Also how do you connect the 4 x U.2 externally, do you...
  15. K

I have learnt alot about bifurcation, PCIe Switching /PLX Switch cards in the last few days and thought to share the information, Firstly in my response to my original post, it makes sense why PCIe 3.0 x8 Cards (9207-8i, 9300-16i, 9305-16/24i etc) are all what people need in terms of bandwidth...