Recent content by kfriis

1. K

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I have noticed that "sometimes" after a complete power outage, the ICX-6450 will not restart/reboot. The only way to turn the switch ON again is to unplug the power cord and plug it right back in. After this, the switch boots and functions normally. But it will not "take power" or reboot...
  2. K

Gigabyte R180-F34 1U Server (2011-3) $94-109 + Shipping

If you have not already, try updating the BMC using a bootable DOS USB drive. That is a very easy process. Use gigaflash.exe and the 488.bin file from the firmware zip package.
  3. K

I can confirm that the backplane works with SAS HDDs using a LSI 9271-8i RAID controller. I asked if anyone had tried SAS HDDs in the server implying just using the onboard controller. It seems we do not have someone confirming that (yet).
  4. K

Has anyone tried to use 3.5" SAS HDDs in this? Maybe using an adapter like this.
  5. K

I did not want to deal with a very old browser to make this work, so I just booted a DOS-based USB stick and manually applied the 488.bin update using gigaflash.exe. Worked perfect.
  6. K

Thanks Default. Good to know that it works for someone else. I only have one NVMe drive in the adapter so I am not using SATA or cable. The same adapter with the same NVMe drive works in another server (both with Windows Server 2019 and ESXi 7.0). Could you specifically tell me where you...
  7. K

@Zalouma - I have the exact Dual M.2 PCIE Adapter for SATA and NVMe you have linked above. Have you tried it or a similar adapter with just an NVMe drive (not SATA)? I have and the server/BIOS does not seem to recognize the NVMe drive. Is there some BIOS setting that needs to be changed...
  8. K

I am getting a BMC error. After waiting for while on the "Wait for BMC Initialize" screen, after several minutes I get "ERROR: BMC failed to initialize!!" After this, the chipset initializes and the system POSTs (and can boot). However, the BMC appears to be non-functional. Basically, it...
  9. K

I agree - would be a great to have the modded BIOS available!
  10. K

Thanks! I understand that it is possible to just grab a Gigabyte BIOS R16, but I seem to remember, that you have said that only the Penguin BIOS is stable. Is this not correct? That is why I am asking about the Penguin BIOS - to me, stability is more important than newer BIOS, but obviously...
  11. K

Thanks @Zalouma ! Now I feel bad - I could have figured the part about the Easy BIOS update out myself. I will try to be more precise with my questions. What version Penguin BIOS is required for v4 CPU support? So it seems that it is a little bit of luck of the draw whether you receive a...
  12. K

@Zalouma appreciate all your knowledge of these servers. I am considering getting one of them from the original seller, but will not know what BIOS version it comes with. Do I need a v3 CPU just to flash it so it support v4? Since I dont have any v3 CPUs laying around, I would prefer not...
  13. K

Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Since you asked, I tested and was able to boot directly from the NVMe drive with Windows Server 2019. I actually installed Windows as a VM/guest running in an ESXi host first (with the NVMe drive as a "passthrough" PCIe device). After verifying functionality in Windows as a guest, I then booted...
  14. K

Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

As expected, at lot of the things I tried along the way turned out not to matter. For example, installing the Intel NVMe driver was not necessary. In fact, I believe if I had just enabled bifurcation right away without any other changes, I am pretty sure it would have worked right away. So...