Recent content by kevindd992002

1. K

Rack Cooling

So I decided to go with duct cooling with these: Dual 120mm to 4" diameter hole -> flexible 4" ducting tube -> AC Infinity Cloudline T4 (4" diameter hole) -> flexible 4" ducting tube routed to outside the building Would you guys know if 4" is enough or should I go 6" diameter system? The 4"...
  2. K

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

That's what I thought. It's just that the FAQ is saying 24 ports of PoE+ without the external PSU. I guess it just means 24 ports of full 30W PoE+.
  3. K

Rack Cooling

Which grill are you pertaining to?
  4. K

Anyone has any ideas about this question?
  5. K

@fohdeesha any ideas? Can I use more than 24 ports as PoE+ as long as the total power budget of 780W is not exceeded? At least that's what I know about PoE/PoE+ is.
  6. K

Based on the icx6450 documentation, without the external psu it only has 24 poe+ capable ports and 48 poe capable ports. Does that mean what it says it means? Only 24 ports can be used as poe+ even if the power budget is not exceeded?
  7. K

I see, so it's always better to use Brocade or Foundry branded SFP+ modules with these switches so additional optics information can be had?
  8. K

@fohdeesha Is the command available in the ICX6450 and ICX6610 switches so optical monitoring is enabled on non-Brocade/Ruckus transceiver modules?
  9. K

Mellanox CX311/312 OEM vs. stock variant

Got it. So in general, is it worth overthinking about the difference? Or just go with the more available Mellanox vanilla cards in eBay? The humidity will be fine since it'll be inside an enclosure anyway.
  10. K

Mellanox CX311/312 OEM vs. stock variant

I'm trying to buy a couple of Mellanox SFP+ NICs for the first time and I want to make sure that I'll be buying the correct one. 1. Are there fakes of these cards from eBay like the Intel ones? 2. I know these get hot quite a bit and considering that I'll be using them in a tropical country...
  11. K

Ok, I think I have a good idea of what you guys are saying. I have just a couple of devices in my home rack. A Synology NAS, NAS extension bay, and pfsense. I think I'm set with the ICX6610-48p-E (exhaust airflow) then so all my devices have front-to-back airflow.
  12. K

Ok, so why would the fan be intake if all network ports are on the same side of the rack? I guess I still don't understand the use case. And what I want is the standard exhaust airflow switch if I have the switch ports in front and the server ports at the back, correct?
  13. K

I see that the ICX6610 has 4 different versions: Questions: 1) What is the use case of an "intake air flow"? I though all rack switches have their rear fans exhaust airflow out? 2) What's the difference between Base and Premium software? Does it matter for home lab use?
  14. K

Best bang-for-the-back used 48-port POE switch with 10GbE SFP+ ports

Based on my research, we have these: Aruba S2500-48P Brocade ICX6450-48p Which is better between the two? In eBay, I see that the Brocade is cheaper. And by default, it has 2 SFP+ ports that are not enabled for 10GbE. I'm reading that a simple CLI command is what's needed to enable these for...
  15. K

Rack Cooling

Hmm, interesting. So no need to use additional rack top fans? My idea is to use shrouds on the top rack fan slots (w/ or w/o fans installed there) and use a duct with an inline duct fan up to the ceiling where the room exhaust fan is.