Recent content by kapone

1. K

PCIe lane confusion

I'm not trying to sway you one way or another. Simply giving an opinion. While cost is always a concern, the simplicity, functionality, complexity, stability, maintainability are all equally important factors. For.e.g a NAS doesn't need much horsepower, so if you use a low power system for...
  2. K

PCIe lane confusion

I don't get these kinds of posts/questions. Seriously, I don't. (OP, my apologies, I'm not trying to be rude or anything). Why do people want to take a simple thing and make it exponentially more complex?? A NAS requires very little horsepower. Just do two systems. Don't overcomplicate things...
  3. K

HGST 8TB SAS HUH728080AL5200

4. K

Issues 'silencing' Supermicro JBOD

Combine either of the two fan controllers above with... Voila! TEN outputs.
  5. K

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Having owned these (and other enterprise switches) for years, and running them in both, a business and home environment, I can almost guarantee that "dual mode" has a very edge case, in any configuration. If you think you need dual mode, think again about your network topology. You're trying to...
  6. K

Yes and Yes. (And the reverse is true as well. You can put the 250w PSU in a POE switch, and it'll work fine...just without POE obviously.)
  7. K

how to quiet X3650 servers

Don't buy them?
  8. K

Great Deals sub section

Not a bad idea actually. Similar to how Slickdeals does it. They have a "Hot Deals" section and then a "Deal Talk" section where the threads from Hot Deals end up after the deal has expired. The challenge is...most of the stuff posted here on STH is not a coupon or similar, which has a well...
  9. K

Resellers are becoming a nightmare for homelab'ers!

There's other ways... Stop buying from these recyclers. Period. Until the price drops to what you expect it to be, just don't buy it. They do not have an unlimited budget. And it is simple enough to do on Ebay. In the "Filters" section you can exclude sellers. To give you an idea... Here's a...
  10. K

Looking to move my nas to rackmount

The noise is probably the topmost reason, why I moved my SAN system(s) to Chenbro NR40700 chassis (from 846s) a few months back. They have 3x 120mm fans in front of the drives, and 3x 120mm fans on the exhaust side. I rewired the fans so that instead of running from the backplanes, they run from...
  11. K

Something to get you started... https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/layer-3-switch-w-pfsense.23236/post-216621
  12. K

As long as you don't expect any Layer 3 stuff on the 7150, it's plug and play for Layer 2 (no different than sticking a switch into another switch's ethernet port). Edit: Minor correction. Plug and play as long as the TOR switch port is in "some" VLAN, not the default VLAN (although that could...
  13. K

Need a recommendation on mATX board/cpu for pfsense and vpn

Actually...:) It's a Frankenstein server(s)....in a 1U chassis. I have two of these (one pfSense, one Domain Controller) motherboards AND a standard ATX motherboard (Supermicro X9SRL-F), all in a single 1U chassis, running off of a single PSU. The mini-ITX motherboards are front mounted in the...
  14. K

Need a recommendation on mATX board/cpu for pfsense and vpn

I recently re-did my pfSense from virtual to physical and used a teeny tiny board. It's a Gigabyte B75-TN thin-mini ITX motherboard. Has an mSATA slot onboard, a pci-e 3.0 x4 slot (which is where my 10g Nic is) and takes direct 12v/19v DC :) The power consumption (i5-3570s, 2x4GB SO-DIMM RAM...
  15. K

48 Drive 4U Chassis: IBM Slicestor 3448 aka Chenbro RM43348

You'll kill the drives with the generated vibration, unless you can couple the drives to the chassis properly. That's what a caddy's most important function is.