Recent content by Kaishi

1. Kaishi

booting pfsense on 5018A-FTN4 server?

After speaking at length with SuperMicro, they indicated that they would like me to RMA this board. I'm not sure if this is a symptom of the C2000 bug but, it's surely annoying.
  2. Kaishi

I called SuperMicro to ask them about it. I sent them an email linking to this thread but also including the serial number, MAC addresses, etc. Also, I managed to reach another owner via Reddit, one who is using this exact board for his own pfsense box, and isn't having the issues that I'm...
  3. Kaishi

The latest, which is version 2.2 I tried installing in full compatibility mode, even down to using the SATA controller in IDE mode. No difference.
  4. Kaishi

I tried installing TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE and had the exact same experience. Nothing shows up in the EFI for me to boot. EDIT: I'm starting to think this board's firmware is hardcoded to look specifically for Windows boot EFI files and nothing else. EDIT2: I decided to try installing VyOS...
  5. Kaishi

Is your install in native UEFI mode? Or are you using any BIOS-compatibility options? For example, the Compatibility Support Module (CSM)
  6. Kaishi

Atom C2758 on borrowed time?

My board boots from USB or ISO without issue, in either UEFI or BIOS-compatibility mode. It performs the install just fine. But it cannot boot the installed environment post install. That's been my issue. I'm trying to figure out which config (UEFI-mode or BIOS-mode) other folks are using...
  7. Kaishi

Atom C2758 on borrowed time?

How were you able to boot pfsense on your Supermicro system? I have one, and I haven't been able to get it to cooperate with anything other than Windows 10 in weeks of attempts. I have a thread about it: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/booting-pfsense-on-5018a-ftn4-server.30523/
  8. Kaishi

This is on a fresh install, at the end of the install I tried to use the final config shell to use efibootmgr, and got the same error. So I rebooted back into the ISO and used the rescue shell. Same error. Clearly I'm booted in UEFI mode, when loading the ISO. But I need to write the EFI...
  9. Kaishi

I've been looking at some more documentation on freeBSD and came away with the idea that it might be related to the pfsense installer not calling "efibootmgr" after install. Or maybe the board only looking for the backup boot file (bootx64.efi) rather than a configured one.
  10. Kaishi

Introduction: I've got a SuperMicro SuperServer 5018A-FTN4, which I bought specifically to use as a gateway for my network. I intended to use pfsense on it, and have been attempting to install pfsense2.4.5-RELEASE-p1 on a pair of SATA SSDs. Hardware in question: The system in question runs an...
  11. Kaishi

Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

I ordered one. We'll see if it helps. Looks like it would.
  12. Kaishi

If I install a shelf like that, how can I screw the switch into the rack? Would it just be free-floating atop the shelf, retained only by gravity and friction?
  13. Kaishi

Update on my status: I bought a Quanta LB6M (wow it's heavy and saggy on my rack) along with 4x Intel X520-DA2. My plan is to have 2 ports in each of my 4 servers. My three VM hosts will use one port each for live-migrations (on a dedicated vlan just for that), and another port exclusively for...
  14. Kaishi

STEC S1120 240GB $100, 480GB $200, 960GB $300 NEW

That 980GB look like an incredible L2ARC IMO :D