Recent content by jpk

1. jpk

X10QBI and v3/v4 cpus (e.g. supermicro sys-4048b-trft)

I haven't seen that particular error before, but I have seen similar errors when a memory dimm wasn't seated quite right, or the memory card weren't loaded exactly the same, but if it happens with the known good memory boards from the running machines, then that seems a little less likely. Do...
  2. jpk

@tconrado Yeah, that's it with the 2x 8891 v4 CPUs (I had the 512GB of ram kinda just sitting around). I have considered going with v3 CPUs because they are so much cheaper and not too much slower than v4, but honestly, I haven't even had any time to even turn it on in the past almost month :p...
  3. jpk

I've been really busy and haven't had any time to look into this again :rolleyes: 1. I feel pretty confident that v3/4 CPUs work in here with the mem1.01 cards. I haven't done any real stress testing, but so far in my experience, it has been very stable. Again, this is just my experience! 2...
  4. jpk

WTB 4x XEON E7 quad socket V4 4800 or 8800 series CPUs, 18+ cores each

I bought 4x v2 CPUs for cheap to play and test with before I bought the v4 CPUs (which I kind of bought because they were cheap, but kind of regretting it now because I'd like to have four, and they tend to be expensive :rolleyes:) I don't know about ES chips, but I did try mixing different...
  5. jpk

WTB 4x XEON E7 quad socket V4 4800 or 8800 series CPUs, 18+ cores each

@angel_bee you might need to buy 2 to test - that's what I found in my testing with the X10QBI - I could not find a single CPU socket that worked for booting, but socket 1 + either socket 3 or 4 worked for me (I currently have 2x e7-8891 v4 with ddr3 in mine in socket 1&4 (I haven't had time to...
  6. jpk

They totally will! Sorry, I totally conflated your project and the one with the 4 graphics cards X-D I want to mirror two of these nvme, and was thinking I want to make sure the mirror is on the same CPU to avoid some crosstalk It's just a little silly that they didn't plan for the 2x CPU3...
  7. jpk

@tconrado If you're planning on using all 8 of the memory boards, there's no space between them. I went for a really low profile adapter with an nvme m2 stick in it, and no luck - there's a big heatsink on the bottom of the memory board, and the P3 board 1 covers both slots. I'm thinking of...
  8. jpk

@tconrado that's a pretty nice deal for the 8890s! Do you mind if I ask which auction that was for? I have a 24x raid60 array that I've been using in my current (e5v2) machine, and I'm hoping transferring that over won't be a big deal. :) @DieBlub I don't think you'll be able to get 4x big...
  9. jpk

My two 8891v4 work fine, I went with them because I got them for cheap, and I don't really need all that many cores, but they tend to be rather expensive, so getting two more for not a lot of money might be difficult. I am thinking of getting 4x e7-8890 v3 cpus too, I don't see a problem with...
  10. jpk

I just wanted to report that I picked up 2x E7-8891 v4 CPUs and they are working perfectly in the system - hyperthreading and everything! Yay! I also ordered a pair E7-4870 v2 to see if I can mix-n-match CPUs. What fun!
  11. jpk

Right, I did know of that setup, somehow it was separate from the slots in my head X-D I like the idea of a flexible riser, but even then, I don't think getting all eight memory cards in there will work. I might look into that if I do see a big difference in memory performance with all 8 cards...
  12. jpk

I wanted to post an update here. I did get things working. It was similar to @gmaxwheel 's experience - I got a controller card from the seller that had had the IPMI password reset and I was able to flash the bios from in that, and now it boots! Some of my observations about the system...
  13. jpk

I purchased one of these from a well known ebay reseller in the southwest, and I figured I'd share my experiences thus far. First was shipping. It was ground Fedex and Slow. (Fedex has been really bad about saying stuff is going to arrive a day earlier than their initial estimation, and then...
  14. jpk

Thank you so much for looking into that!
  15. jpk

Awesome! Thank you so much for that! Mine will be going into a dedicated room, but if it were really loud, that might come through. One more question - how complicated would it be to get power (e.g. for GPUs) into the back of the chassis? (and I assume there's not room to get standard 6/8 pin...