Recent content by Jonthewise

1. J

pfSense replacing a Cisco Router - not acting as expected

@LodeRunner Ah, for me routing was never a problem with the Cisco - I just couldn't get it to do both failover and NAT at the same time. All the WAF failures were related to DNS or her profile being stored on the NAS. Simply building the standalone domain controller and removing her PC from the...
  2. J

LOL, I built my config using Google, but I know all about the WAF; I can't tell you how many times mine's complained about the internet going down because of this or that - my setup includes DHCP and DNS on a windows server that manages my domain, and was in a VM inside my ESXi cluster. Any time...
  3. J

Wow, that would have been above and beyond! Thanks again for the help, can't tell you how much I appreciate it :)
  4. J

As it turns out, I had to tell pfSense to allow traffic from the 192.168.0.0/16 network as well. The default allow rule says LAN net, but it's not actually allowing anything from the interface. I added a rule for 192.168.0.0/16 and bam, the internet started working! Thanks for all the...
  5. J

okay, yeah, I was just copying the subnet range you used in the aruba gateway (which appears to be a typo, because the rest of your example used 172.31.254.0. Anyway, so I went ahead and made my transit VLAN use 10.0.0.0/24; Set the IP on the Aruba to 10.0.0.1 and reloaded pfSense from scratch...
  6. J

OH! Is it because of the overlapping route?!? Why didn't the cisco ever care about it? So you're saying if I change the IP subnet of VLAN1000 to the 172.1.254.0 range then everything will cooperate?
  7. J

The Cisco router went away, and the pfSense server took it's place. See the diagram I just uploaded right before you posted. I used the Cisco router's LAN IP address for the LAN address in pfSense. The WAN port is DHCP on both. The default route on the Aruba is 192.168.0.2 (the ip of the router...
  8. J

adding a network diagram:
  9. J

I also tried replacing the default-gateway with a default route: Before: ip-profile default-gateway 192.168.0.2 After: ip-profile route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.2 0 Still doesn't seem to be working. From one of the machines I left on VLAN15: Windows IP Configuration Ethernet...
  10. J

Posting my Aruba config to see if anybody sees something glaringly out of line. As far as pfSense goes, it's basically a fresh installation, and if doing that over again is what it takes, I'm game. All I've done is assign a WAN, LAN, and OPT1 interfaces, gave the WAN DHCP, the LAN 192.168.0.2/24...
  11. J

Option1 is what I was doing before. I added a static route for 192.168.0.0/16 to go through 192.168.0.1 on pfSense, but that doesn't seem to be working, so maybe I need to scale back and do /24 static routes for each VLAN? Edit - Created individual /24 static routes and disabled the /16 route...
  12. J

Hey all. So I have just replaced my old Cisco 2921 with a little pfSense build on a desktop box with an added 4 port NIC card. All just GB connections, so nothing fancy there. I thought it would just be a case of remove and replace. That didn't seem to work though. Firstly, my entire network...
  13. J

Need some help simplifying my network

LOL, I thought I fixed it, but alas, I did not. I at least got it working so that we're back on the Comcast connection for all the internet (though I'm impressed that my wife could stream hulu over the LTE without noticing that I did anything). Basically, I reset the comcast device to factory...
  14. J

This might have been simpler than I thought. I've added a static route to 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 to the Comcast device, pointed to 192.168.0.1 (the gateway on VLAN1000, that it can reach directly), and it appears that may do the trick, at least initially. I'd still love feedback on how to make...
  15. J

Hello all, I was hoping that someone with some actual network expertise might be able to look at my setup and tell me how to make it less... challenging. Basically, I want to remove the dependency on my home lab from accessing the internet, but I kind of have it baked in and can't really figure...