Recent content by john4200

1. J

OCZ Vector v. OCZ Vertex 450 Differences?

Actually, OCZ is that bad. Terrible. Even the Vector, which they promised received lots of quality assurance testing, has significantly higher return rates (over 4%) than most other good SSDs. Conclusion - The return rate of the components (8) - HardWare.fr
  2. J

Cyberpower on Amazon - Discounts and Prime

Not necessarily. But some PSUs are more sensitive to it than others. At a minimum, you should test whether the U part of UPS works for your PSU by pulling the UPS powercord out and verifying that the computer does not shut down or crash. If it does, you might need a sinewave UPS.
  3. J

amazon has the PFC1500 for $199.99, but you have to click "more buying choices" to see it. Even out of stock, the price is much higher than the AVR model.
  4. J

Thanks for the note. Unfortunately for me, I much prefer the sinewave series, such as the CP1500PFCLCD, and it does not appear to be discounted: Amazon.com: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS 1500VA 900W PFC Compatible Mini-Tower: Electronics I'm wondering if Cyberpower is discontinuing...
  5. J

Looking for a **very quiet** rackmount/rackmountable JBOD enclosure

I just quickly glanced at your link, but if I read the chart right, the Ultra Kaze at 2000rpm only achieves 1mmH2O (0.1cm). In contrast, the Noctua NF-F12 spec is 2.6mmH20 at 1500rpm. It looks like you have to run the Ultra Kaze at 3000rpm (twice that of the Noctua) to achieve a similar...
  6. J

The airflow spec is measured at minimal resistance (pressure difference). For use to draw air through the closely packed HDDs in a rackmount chassis, the static pressure is the critical spec. You won't achieve airflow anywhere near what you quoted there if you use the fans drawing from a...
  7. J

It is just a matter of static pressure. I'm not sure why you had so much difficulty, unless it is because you failed to plug up the holes as suggested by Pig. Or perhaps you were not using the Noctua NF-F12 fans, which have decent static pressure. You are aware that Noctua has multiple models...
  8. J

It is possible to find 120mm fans with decent static pressure. For example, the Noctua NF-F12, which works well in a 4U chassis. Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"! Triebwerk also has high-static-pressure 120mm fans, but I have not tried them myself.
  9. J

ZFS Raid + SnapRaid media server in a napp-it box

It is just done with symlinks. It is not full pooling. For example, if you rename or delete a file in the pool, you will only rename or delete the symlink, and the original file will stay the same. Also, if you add content, the file(s) will just sit there with the symlinks. Andrea said he might...
  10. J

iostat hard, soft, and transport errors

The first things I always check with problems like that are: 1) Power : swap power cables with known good ones, swap PSU with known good one 2) Data cables : swap with known good cables
  11. J

SnapRAID and LVM for Pooling

I read through the thread and I am still not certain exactly what you need to accomplish. But would it be feasible to use mdadm to make RAID-0 devices of two pairs of 2TB HDDs (one for your big file, the other for your parity file)? Then you could use aufs for pooling, and snapraid for parity...
  12. J

ZFS Raid Level for MKV

If you are going to use SnapRAID, I think your best OS choice is linux. SnapRAID should be able to be compiled on Solaris, but there is not much benefit to using SnapRAID with ZFS, so if you are going to use SnapRAID on a free OS, you may as well run a more widely used OS with better hardware...
  13. J

IBM M1015 HDD Smart

I had not realized that the state of the SAS HBA drivers and/or SCSI layer on Windows was so convoluted. With linux, the drives connected through my M1015 HBA (mpt2sas driver) are accessed exactly the same as drives connected to motherboard SATA ports -- just /dev/sd_ , same as the others...
  14. J

IBM M1015 HDD Smart

Maybe that is necessary with the Windows port of smartctl. Did you ever try running Crystal Disk Info or gsmartcontrol in Windows on a drive connected through an M1015? (I haven't....all my M1015 cards are in a linux server).
  15. J

IBM M1015 HDD Smart

What is "it"? Why can you not provide sufficient information for people to answer your question? How, exactly are you trying to access SMART data?