Recent content by joet

1. J

H12SSL-I Stuck at "bmc initiating"

Well, I do have access to a preheater big enough, and a hot-air gun, but I also have previous experience of tombstoning parts near the one I was replacing, so am only half tempted to give it a go. Then again, it's scrap unless I try...
  2. J

I'd imagine what we all want to know now is, 'Does it boot?' My broken H12SSL-NT is hovering over an E-waste bin, these last few updates might just save it!
  3. J

I was wondering whether something like a squidgy thick strip of thermal pad might not be better - it's designed for heat flow and would spread any accidental impact forces from clumsy pcie card insertion/removal. Not sure I'm curious enough to buy another H12-SSL to find out though!
  4. J

I'm both glad and sad I found this thread - it confirmed what I'd done to my H12SSL and saved me any more wasted diagnostic time, but ouch what a bad idea to put such delicate components so close to the edge of the board where one clumsy card insertion could scrape them off. Does anyone know...
  5. J

Do EPYC Milan CPUs even exist for sale?

I didn't realise that they were only making one wafer's worth ;) Let's hope the supply situation improves later in the year.
  6. J

Been waiting for a 7443P since September 2021, current ETA is May 2022 - doesn't feel like there's any availability over here at the moment!
  7. J

I've been watching them come in and out of stock at shopBLT, which I suppose is encouraging, but I still haven't seen any stock appearing in the UK/Europe. Am I looking in the wrong places, or is it really a tale of two continents?
  8. J

H12SSL-NT quirks - toasty LAN SoC + no Redfish access

Interesting - that's a bug report!
  9. J

This board uses the Broadcom BCM57416 but TBH 55C is really no big deal for most semiconductors - are you sure about the X550? With AC power / only +5v standby, the NIC lights are pulsing both on the connector and the front panel of the chassis. Not sure how much of the NIC needs to be awake...
  10. J

So the NIC heatsink measured about 65C at its hottest spot this morning after 7h with no airflow at all. To me, this seems a little warm, but OK.
  11. J

Hmm, actually I stand corrected. When I shut it down, the fans seem to ramp up and then slowly spin down just as the machine shuts down. However on closer inspection, after 10s the only fans running are the ones in the PSUs. My IR thermometer shows the NIC heatsink to be at approx 60C - I'll...
  12. J

The Supermicro case (CSE-747) I'm using has 6 80/92mm turbo-nutter fans, which ramp up to 7.5K rpm on startup, hitting 72dB, so I tend to leave it running! I'm using pretty much all the onboard fan connectors, I think the ones that blow across the NIC are FANA/FANB but I'm pretty sure the others...
  13. J

On my H12SSL-NT, the fans run when the system is powered down - which gives my system a 25W draw when only the BMC is active! Which fan connectors did you use if your fans are not running when the BMC has power?
  14. J

Supermicro H12SSW-NT - FreeNAS 11.3-U1 NVMe issues

Many thanks - I also reached out to the Supermicro online-shop's support and after a few hours figuring it out, they also came back with that part number for the H12SSL-NT.
  15. J

Supermicro H12SSW-NT - FreeNAS 11.3-U1 NVMe issues

Sorry to drag this off-topic but @chrisk2305 could you please share the part-numbers of the Slim-SAS 8i -> U.2 drive cables you used? I am trying to find some for my H12SSL-NT.