Recent content by Joel

1. J

Think this is a good deal

Ya, that's why I'm a bit leery of this non-UL stuff coming from China. My inner cheapskate screams "BUY!" but if it craps out and takes other gear out with it, not such a good buy anymore!
  2. J

EXPIRED 1.92TB PM983 $75

I have a set 4 of these in a ZFS array... think I paid ~$80ea about a month ago for them. One of them got hit by the ERRORMOD issue; I was able to recover the drive using this handy thread, but the recovery may involve data loss.
  3. J

PM9A3 Firmware / ERRORMOD related to fw version

Thank you! Worked like a charm. I was able to update the firmware using the Samsung tool afterwards, but AFAICT my drive wasn't vendor-specific.
  4. J

Toshiba 14TB SAS MG07SCA14TE 512e $66 NEW

Worth noting, on their website they sell both scratched labels and "clean" labels at a higher price ($99/ea). If you need a bunch they also sell both flavors in boxes of 20 at a slight discount.
  5. J

PM9A3 Firmware / ERRORMOD related to fw version

Which software are you using? I'm trying to unbrick an ERRORMOD PM983 using Samsung DC Toolkit version 2.1 (version 3 fails on my machine with a SEGFAULT). Vendor utils do not show an escape option for me. -V [ --vendor-utility ] Execute Vendor Unique command on specified disk...
  6. J

Pitiful NVMe performance with PM983 ZFS pool

Also as a point of comparison for myself haha, same fio command (4k random writes) on a 4-way mirror spinning rust pool is ~400KiB/s and ~120 IOPS... :eek:. So from that perspective 30MiB/s is still ridiculously fast.
  7. J

I also found out that one of the drives decided to error out; perusing this thread now to attempt to reset the firmware. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/pm9a3-firmware-errormod-related-to-fw-version.36822/page-3#post-417028
  8. J

ashift was detected as 12. This particular pool was created using TrueNAS GUI. Main purpose of the pool will be for guest VM disks and somewhat write-heavy workloads for a homelab (mostly downloading media files via torrent or usenet). Would setting the recordsize to 4K make sense for that...
  9. J

So I get that the PM983 is not the most performant drive on the market, and ZFS isn't the most optimized for SSD performance, but I must admit I was expecting a little better than 37MiB/s and 9k IOPS! sudo fio --filename=test --sync=1 --rw=randwrite --bs=4k --numjobs=1 \ --iodepth=4...
  10. J

FS [US-TN]: TMM nodes, SFF Xeon-D NAS Server

Update: SSDs will now be sold only with TMM nodes, and are free with purchase.
  11. J

I had an HBA that got moved to the new build.
  12. J

SMART output attached. PM me for the logistics...
  13. J

Howdy folks. I just finished consolidating my servers and now have some spare gear. NAS Server - SuperMicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F Xeon-D 1521, Dual 10GbE nic, dedicated IPMI 128GB (4x32GB) 2133 DDR4 RDIMMs Silverstone DS380 8x 3.5" hotswap chassis Fractal ION 650 SFX PSU No OS/no drives...
  14. J

Asrock ROMED8-2T - M.2 NVME question.

Looking at the same solution to load up some PM983s which are known to run hot. How has your experience been?