Recent content by joak928

1. J

Home Install - What Cabling Would You Use?

Thank you all for the input - I had some UTP CMR CAT6 on hand, but was torn whether I should upgrade that to shielded CAT6a...I think I found the answers I was looking for. The grounding at various points honestly seems to complicate things more than I'd like, as I'm looking to keep this as...
  2. J

Any reason to use 6a over 6? Also, any recommendations on where to buy bulk fiber for runs like that? It likely makes sense for me to run fiber to a 3rd floor switch as well (basement to attic and down into a closet) to connect some PoE cameras.
  3. J

Device-wise I am running 3 workstation computers, media devices (TVs, gaming consoles, streaming boxes, etc.), PoE security cameras w/ NVR, 2-3 APs for laptops and IoT devices and 1 NAS.
  4. J

I'm renovating our 1300 sqft basement, which includes adding ethernet throughout and considering updating the existing CAT5e throughout the other two 1700 sqft levels. Should I use CAT6 or 6a, and does shielding matter? We will be adding PoE devices. There's Romex in the ceiling—will that cause...
  5. J

ICX7250 ERROR: Ethernet external port not connected

@BoGs I have a setup similar to the one referenced going into the console port... mini-USB to serial and a serial to USB. I am able to connect to the switch and get into bootloader mode - the issue that I'm experiencing is when trying to update the uboot, which I am assuming is an issue due to...
  6. J

After re-reading the instructions and the post above, I think I am seeing where I'm possibly going wrong... I have a RJ45 to USB connector in the management port, as opposed to a RJ45 from the switch to my router...
  7. J

Connections below. I see where I went wrong re: my IP address assignment and do admit that I skimmed that part, but I am confused about where the update_uboot prompt is entered. I am doing all of this in Screen on MacOS, which is connected via serial. Am I supposed to connect simultaneously...
  8. J

@fohdeesha in order for me to access the switch and set an IP, I had to connect via mini USB. Should I now be making my connections via the Ethernet port/Telnet? Using MacOS w/ Terminal/Switch.
  9. J

Hi all, I'm having an issue getting through the first steps on the Fohdeesha Brocade setup and am getting an error when trying to update uboot... Has anyone experienced this and how can I get it resolved? Thank you in advance! Details below: Ruckus Networks Bootloader: 10.1.18T215 (Jul 13 2020...
  10. J

Beginner Home Networking Setup

Thank you! Makes sense to house the switch in an upstairs closet and just route the cabling through the attic instead. The 24 port Brocades are fairly inexpensive 2nd hand, so that isn't a bad option. I already have some networking jacks installed, so I may be able to just use that as a pull...
  11. J

As far as fiber goes to link switches, would something like this be sufficient? TLC Duplex Cable 3mm I would likely run an additional PoE switch in the attic for surveillance cameras in the upper areas of the house (if that makes sense). If I plan on putting some cameras on the main switch in...
  12. J

Would it make sense to run the wiring in conduit for ease of upgrading in the future? I've read about people suggesting smurf tube...
  13. J

Hey everyone, I'm diving into setting up a home network and could use some advice. While I'm pretty tech-savvy, networking is new territory for me. Currently, I'm using a basic wireless mesh system (Orbi), but I'm looking to upgrade since we are in the middle of a renovation. I'm planning to...