Recent content by jjoyceiv

1. jjoyceiv

napp-it on OmniOS on ESXi - performance?

Thanks gea. My exact hardware choices aren't anywhere close to set in stone. Sounds like I'll want either a second HBA, or a beefier primary one to handle the SSDs. I'm not sure I follow why having the VM datastore SSDs be battery-backed eliminates the need for a SLOG - what would happen to the...
  2. jjoyceiv

napp-it on OmniOS on ESXi - performance?

So I'm familiar with ESXi, and if possible I'd like to use it as the hypervisor for an upcoming AIO solution for a small office (actually happening this time). What I'm wondering is whether the following hardware combination (more or less) will give me the performance I need for up to five...
  3. jjoyceiv

DELL Black Friday in July deals

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately seems like Dell's E5v4 server prices are fairly mediocre, even with this sale, and that's on their cheapest possible config (a T430)... before the aftermarket parts (RAM, HDD, X520) I'd have to add to get it up to spec. :( Oh well. Here's hoping Friday's deals...
  4. jjoyceiv

FS: dual E5-2670 system

Interesting... what's your pricing going to be like? PM if you prefer.
  5. jjoyceiv

Amazon Prime Day 2016 Thread

$35.99 is everyday pricing on that SSD - the Prime Day pricing is going to be even lower. I wouldn't trust it in anything important, but it's not entirely no-name (Silicon Power are a known brand) and if the price is low enough, it's perfect to throw in this pile-o-crap laptop I have sitting...
  6. jjoyceiv

WTB: Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO

Did business with this seller before, promised I'd be back - I came back, and got an LB4M for less than $79. ;) That fills that need. Still looking for UAP-AC-PROs.
  7. jjoyceiv

WTB: Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO

Bump - still need an LB4M, sooner than later.
  8. jjoyceiv

Hitachi NAS vs. Toshiba X300

Fair, 20 just makes an anecdotes. Thanks for sharing anyway. Unless anyone else has opinions/experience, I'd wager both would be a solid buy.
  9. jjoyceiv

Hitachi NAS vs. Toshiba X300

How's reliability been for you for the two lines?
  10. jjoyceiv

Awesome Deals on 10Gb NIC Cards, Switches and Servers

I was also wondering about the $68 vs. $78 pricing on the DA2s.
  11. jjoyceiv

Rewards Travel

No question... Flyertalk.com alone is crazy, not to mention all the other points-and-travel-game communities.
  12. jjoyceiv

recommendation for cheap mini-itx board for pfsense

Indeed you have to go to the tech specs tab to see the Intel NICs. As for power supply, you only need an el cheapo AC adapter; add RAM for ~$20 and an M350 case for $40, just as I posted in your thread, where you said the same, it's about what you paid for your setup, but the ITX board is much...
  13. jjoyceiv

recommendation for cheap mini-itx board for pfsense

Not quite. ;) The ASRock Rack website says "Supports Intel Dual GLAN (2 x Intel i210 )" There's lots of cheaper mITX boards that use Realtek NICs, but I'd never recommend or use one that's not Intell all the way.
  14. jjoyceiv

FS: SOLD

Any interest in selling the Noctua fans by themselves?
  15. jjoyceiv

Help to select a few components for Xeon E5

Try an Intel X520-DA2 from Natex (use coupon STHDA2 for 5% extra off). They're also abundant on eBay.