Recent content by JanR

1. J

New Homelab build, should I go 14700k or 14900k?

Turbostat power readings of 14900K in idle mode with two active monitors (X11 + WindowMaker) driven by iGPU: PkgWatt CorWatt GFXWatt 6.15 2.01 0.01 -> iGPU seems to be powergated nearly all the time. Running applications such as glxgears increases this up to 6.25 W so this reading seems...
  2. J

New Homelab build, should I go 14700k or 14900k?

For a 24/7 machine I would not look at TDP (which is only relevant when running at high load) but at IDLE consumption since this is what you have to pay for. If you consider CPUs such as 14700K or 14900K or 7950X than Intel has an advantage here. As we all know, these Intel CPUs need quite a...
  3. J

Alternatives to Asus-W680

Hmm... at least here in Germany the two boards cost more or less the same according to "geizhals" - that's why I mentioned that board (it runs perfect in my system at work and also here at home (with no BMC)).
  4. J

Alternatives to Asus-W680

What about the SuperMicro X13SAE-F? It does not give you 16+8 lanes but 8+8 and addional x4 slots, together with three M2 slots (one CPU, two chipset).
  5. J

Idle power consumption Intel LGA 1700 vs AMD AM5 platform

Reading reports from others, starting threads like this one... For me, this thread answered my LGA1700 vs AM5 question - AM5 gives more efficiency at load while LGA1700 is more efficient at idle. Since my setting is dominated by idle, the answer was clear.
  6. J

The question is if the "low core count" CPU is really a low core count die or a "standard" die with some cores disabled. Additionally, the idle consumption is determined mainly by the uncore. Idle cores are power gated. A power gated core needs the same as a disabled core - just nothing. I...
  7. J

LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Do you know the BIOS version of that board? At least for 2.1 and the board version with no IPMI (X13SAE) I was able to boot with an i9 14900K. Also, keep in mind that the X13SAE-F needs a long time from power on to video (beeping a few times even with no error).
  8. J

Intel W680 DDR5 and ECC Reporting

I tried this some month ago... nothing happened but my guess was that I was not able to inject the error the right way. Especially, there was NOTHING in the log, even not the injection. Therefore, I guess I made a mistake or the board does not support the error injection (although I enabled the...
  9. J

Intel W680 DDR5 and ECC Reporting

I tried that on an X13SAE-F with no success. Currently, there is no EDAC driver and - according to my experiences - also the "Output ACPI APEI/GHES BIOS detected errors via EDAC" driver option does not work. However, according to Intel documention, it should be possible to write such a...
  10. J

Intel Xeon E-2400 series Raptor Lake-E for LGA 1700

And no iGPU... Additionally, I do not understand why these Xeons are not supported on W680 boards - those ARE usually workstation/server class. Therefore, contrary to older entry level Xeons, these E-Xeons have significant less relevant features than there Core-i-counterparts. An i9-14900K has...
  11. J

In my case, the PSU of the X13SAE system is a Seasonic Focus Plus 550 Platinum. And... the X13SAE-F at work uses a bronze PSU, not gold as written above (Enermax CyberBron ECB600AWT). What we really need for such systems is a platinum PSU with 200-250 W. That would be completely sufficient as...
  12. J

I don't think that is that much... I'm more with this: Please note that you can NOT compare my numbers of X13SAE-F (system at work) and X13SAE (system at home). This X13SAE-F system uses a 650 W gold efficiency PSU while my X13SAE build features a 550W platinum efficiency PSU that I selected...
  13. J

Now, the system is build and I'm nearly ready with setup. Therefore, I can give numbers related to my original question: Here was the measurement from AM5 (H13SAE): Now, I have an X13SAE with i9-14900K, 2x32 GB ECC DDR5, 2 x M2 NVME (Samsung Pro 990 + WD SN850X, 4 TB each), one active GbE...
  14. J

This is not the case for X13SAE. There are no such strings - but it accepts 14th Gen. This sounds likely... unfortunately, I have not saved the link to that report. Nevertheless, the important information is: X13SAE with BIOS 2.1 boots with i9 14900K. That would also be possible... maybe...
  15. J

Okay... but can you imagine another reason to reject a processor with the same cpuid and even the same stepping?