Recent content by jan.lalinsky

1. J

Looking for highly reliable rackmount 24x1Gbit switch under $250

Most servers have IPs from different subnets. Switch has no problem with this, probably because it does not care about IP addresses at all. It just sends frames to correct physical ports. Since these are L2 switches, I assume this is generic L2 switch functionality which any other switch will...
  2. J

I did a test using arping and tcpdump and the result is that I never see provider's switch or router. Machines cache correct MAC address for all IPs, irrespective of subnets. Then I realized that the purpose of arp table is to know where to send frames. So it would seem that my machines can...
  3. J

Any cable carries multiple public IP addresses from different ranges. Routing those packets outside the rack is handled by provider's router. Do you think switches are too dumb to figure out and cache the physical ports on the switch when moving packets between unrelated IP addresses that are...
  4. J

Yes that is my understanding as well. But maybe we won't need STP, I am not sure. Let's forget about STP for now. Fair enough - we have servers in two racks in a DC, each rack is supplied with single ethernet cable from the provider. What is on the other side of the cable I have no idea, but I...
  5. J

It's simple. I am unwilling to give money and buy a new product made by a company that has multiple serious issues with security. If the issues are few and isolated (Mikrotik), that is less of a problem. I do not insist on buying a specific brandname, I just can't go for market dominator with...
  6. J

Thanks guys. @Cixelyn that piece looks quite nice, but Mikrotik had some hooplas recently with security and the model lacks C14 plug. I don't like using adapters in rack, too unreliable connection and messy. The price is great though. Do you think this model is free of security issues that were...
  7. J

Hey guys, we're looking into upgrading our in-rack networking and I'm trying to figure out which switch brands and models fit best for these requirements of ours: * the switch will be used for cca 20 web servers in a single rack * at least 24x 1Gbit (Ethernet RJ45) ports, 10Gbit uplink...