Recent content by James C. Owens

1. James C. Owens

LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Regardless it is good to know that an X13SAE(F) will boot a 14th gen out of the box (at least with 2.1).
  2. James C. Owens

@brained can't speak to the issues with virtualized IOMMU you are having, but the split-lock warnings are a VM hypervisor problem. Split-locks by default are logged in the kernel, because they are highly discouraged at this point. There is a setting you can change to silence this, but this is...
  3. James C. Owens

X13SAE. 4 sticks and 128 GB memory total.
  4. James C. Owens

Agree with both of you @JanR and @RolloZ170.
  5. James C. Owens

There is no compatible EDAC driver for the W680 chipset for Linux yet. I think severe memory errors will get logged through ACPI and/or SMI/machine check alerts though.
  6. James C. Owens

I wanted to alert folks that Supermicro has released BIOS version 3.0 for the X13SAE(F). They did not provide a changelog, but my guess is that it enables compatibility with 14th gen Raptor Lake CPU's. I also noticed it added higher speeds in the memory speed selection drop down, up to 5600 MHz...
  7. James C. Owens

Where are the DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

Ah. You are right about who enforces the frequency reduction standard based on the load factor. In this case it is the CPU manufacturers, because the memory controller is actually on the CPU. I would advise that if you don't follow the rules specified by JEDEC and the CPU, then the reliability...
  8. James C. Owens

See https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/lga-1700-alder-lake-servers.35719/post-370867. The JEDEC spec requires that the speed decline as the number of slots per channel/dimms per channel/ranks per DIMM increase. Most people do not know this. Supermicro follows the JEDEC standard...
  9. James C. Owens

I have four Micron ECC sticks for 128 GB total working fine in my X13SAE, but I am running them at JEDEC spec speed, which means 3600.
  10. James C. Owens

You mean the X13SAE-F right? I have the non-F model, but hopefully this will be useful. This is with OpenSUSE 15.4 (5.14.21-150400.24.60-default) The non verbose version: 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device a700 (rev 01) 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device a70d (rev 01)...
  11. James C. Owens

Make sure you are using the BIOS for the correct board. The X13SAE and X13SAE-F (with the onbaord BMC) are different. I was having a problem when I originally built my workstation, and it turns out I was trying to apply the X13SAE-F bios ver 2.0 to my non-F board.
  12. James C. Owens

Anyway. I am pretty convinced we are getting real ECC with these modules, even if the reporting is a little screwy.
  13. James C. Owens

It is really crazy isn't it? Kingston's own spec sheet for those modules says 72... https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KSM48E40BD8KM-32HM.pdf
  14. James C. Owens

The socket dimensions are standard and the clearances appear to be just as good as with gaming boards. I am using the Noctua NH-U12A cooler.
  15. James C. Owens

Also I have been running my S13SAE with a PL1 of 225W for several months now. Rock solid. You can use the PL overrides in the BIOS to do this (overriding the default). Just make sure you have proper cooling in place.