Recent content by J. Michael Henry

1. J. Michael Henry

Desktop Enclosures for 4x 5x3's

For photos and music I back up to Crashplan... For all videos I back up to my neighbor - we keep in sync with everything that we have...
  2. J. Michael Henry

Yeah, I hear you... I currently have 8 drives at 3TB each in a hardware RAID 5...So I will end up adding them to this box when I am done migrating the data - So to start I will need 12 drives and I would like to maximize the box as much as I can for the future...So 1 drive cage would do me for...
  3. J. Michael Henry

Thanks HotFix! I agree with all points...but my solution will be piece-mealed so I won't have to buy everything up front... Once I have a need for more space I will buy the 5x3 and add drives as needed... Space is VERY limited at my house right now - and if I started with a rack mounted case...
  4. J. Michael Henry

I just don't have the space...I can go up but not deep heh...
  5. J. Michael Henry

Hey guys, I'm researching towers and I am curious on what is out there for 4x 5x3's...essentially 20 hard drives... Point me to some? Prefer cost effective ;)... Thanks in advance! -Mike
  6. J. Michael Henry

Cases that have 16 drive bays?

I thought about setting up a rack system but I just don't think I have the room.
  7. J. Michael Henry

Would you recommend something like the for an unraid solution that boots with a USB device?
  8. J. Michael Henry

Excellent thanks for the info...make sense...
  9. J. Michael Henry

Hey Patrick! Can you respond to my question above?
  10. J. Michael Henry

ehhh $200 total MIGHT have been a stretch but RAM shouldn't be that expensive...from what I remember (the hazy fog may have lifted a bit) maybe it was $60 a stick... Anyways...look forward to some education from Patrick...
  11. J. Michael Henry

'scuse the ignorance guys... I built my current setup which consists of a modest board and chip, 16GB of RAM, a RAID card and 8 harddrives... With the exception of the harddrives, the entire system was less than $200... Patrick, why the heck is that board a good deal at under $250!? :eek: I...
  12. J. Michael Henry

Thanks for the pic Steve! Can you point me in the right direction on what to look for in a board that can handle those 12+ drives?
  13. J. Michael Henry

I was thinking about building a rack system in my home but I just don't think I have the room... So, are there any cases out there that can house 12-16 drives? Yeah it's a tall order but I'm just curious ;)
  14. J. Michael Henry

New Home Server - Need Advice

I am assuming that all of these different chassis have the same footprint - length (or depth) wise? Is this something that I would need for a rack? StarTech.com 12U Adjustable Depth Open Frame 4 Post Server Rack - 4POSTRACK12U - Racks and Enclosures - CDW.com
  15. J. Michael Henry

New Home Server - Need Advice

Whoa - that's a lot of Klingon to me ...o_O