Recent content by Ivan Dimitrov

1. I

Are Tyan Boards Any Good?

Hi, I am considering jumping to the Epyc bandwagon and 8030 and H12SSL seems to be the most logical options. I don't understand why 8030 is currently half the price in ebay from the Chinese sellers? The H12SSL price is defiantly exaugurated as I can find it locally cheaper new with warranty but...
  2. I

H12SSL-i + EPYC from China - worth it?

I did a quick search for epyc China but I wasn't careful enough obviously. Please delete the thread
  3. I

H12SSL-i + EPYC from China - worth it?

Hi, I am considering moving to EPYC platform and ebay there are multitude of Combo deals for Supermicro H12SSL-i + different EPYC CPUs. They claim the board is new and CPU is used. The prices are really attractive compared to my local used market. Example I am wondering if somebody has bought...
  4. I

Socket 3647 - still the best for home lab in 2023?

Yeah, it seems I will be dragging s.3647 for now, until something better appears. And would you know it AMD might have just announced the answer - Siena
  5. I

@i386 - Thanks making me look at the older EPYCs (Rome/Milan) one more time. They really offer much more room for growth as a platform and performance. There are also some really cheap options for CPU+mobo on eBay. Based on STH reviews a 16 core Rome will be roughly on the same performance level...
  6. I

I have been running 3647 platform pretty much since they were released and recently I got the upgrade itch. But I am pretty hard pressed to find a "stick to scratch it". My current system is: Xeon Gold 6230 192GB RAM 3x Intel NVME SSD - 6 + 8 TB + 400GB boot 4HDDs nVidia 1660 Supper...
  7. I

Ryzen AM5 boards with IPMI

If you have linux installed on the system could you also check the IOMMU group with this: #!/bin/bash for iommu_group in $(find /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/ -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d); do echo "IOMMU group $(basename "$iommu_group")"; for device in $(ls -1 "$iommu_group"/devices/); do echo...
  8. I

Supermicro X13SAE-F W680 Motherboard Mini-Review

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. After looking for 2 days on s. 1700 and AM5 boards I reached the conclusion that Asus Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI might be the best from the current crop of Intel/AMD semi-server/workstation MB. I like supermicro but this board seems too conservative to buy...
  9. I

Thanks for the reply. About the memory - are there manual setting to overwrite the memory speed? The CPUs now support much higher speeds and the memory is available. I was thinking that 5200/5600 MTS should be possible.
  10. I

Hi, can somebody of the happy owners answer a few question about the board: Is the memory speed really that abysmal as given in the specification (4400 MTS with SDPC and 4000 with DDPC)? Has somebody tried 96/192 GB of RAM on the board? Is bifurcation supported beyond the x8/x8? Can I go...
  11. I

As you asked here is my wish list :): What is the supported bifurcation options for the the x8 slots? Can I go 8x/4x/4x? What is the PCIe lane separation situation? Are all the lanes in separate groups and/or which are combine? Does it really support 48GB DIMMS? Does it supports 192GB of RAM?
  12. I

It is good that SuperMicro finally starts seeing the light. But it is still annoying that the AMD boards have a "second class citizen" feel. There is conflict between the claimed supported memory in the manual and the page (128 vs. 192 GB), the block diagram looks worse, etc. But otherwise...
  13. I

LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Hi, none of the boards I checked officially support more than 128GB of RAM but some of the customer LGA1700 already do. Has anybody tried 48GB ECC or non-ECC modules on any of the boards? Thanks.
  14. I

W790 Motherboard discussion thread

Sorry but I think you are not correct. The Xeon CPUs also have DMI4x8. This doesn't mean the Xeons will be supported though. Most likely there will be some stupid SW lock on BIOS level. None of the boards list the server Xeons as supported. Maybe we some "resourceful" Chinese sellers on eBay...
  15. I

LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

There is ATX version as well IMB-X1714 but it is DDR5. I guess you can have it all :)