Recent content by ItsaMeDS4243

1. I

TrueNAS Core, estimated raw capacity vs final free capacity

Ah, when I saw that my drives were reporting 512B sector sizes, I assumed that's what ZFS/TrueNAS would use. It seems that nowadays it forces 4K sector settings on all drives... and it sounds like that might be faster even on 512B drives? I don't quite understand how larger sector sizes...
  2. I

SAS drives and TrueNAS

Sounds like it should be fixed in U4! Sweet. Thanks for your help :)
  3. I

TrueNAS Core, estimated raw capacity vs final free capacity

So to start out with, I'm going to write everything here explicitly in TiB so I don't confuse myself. I have 24 ~3.64TiB drives, in a RaidZ3 array. This in total is ~87.3TiB of space, before parity drives (and confirmed by zpool list). Minus parity drives, that puts us at around 76.4 TiB or...
  4. I

SAS drives and TrueNAS

I'm in the same boat, doing anything SMART related from the GUI spits out a bunch of errors, but CLI works fine. Truenas 12.0 U3.1 here, and all of my drives happen to be SAS. Are the bug reports and such publicly available? I'm very curious as to how/when this will be fixed.
  5. I

DS4243 not getting along with UPS battery power

Update: New UPS has mostly resolved all of the issues. The bad news is, I still do get some SCSI bus errors when I switch to UPS power, seemingly from the amount of time it takes for the UPS to kick in. "Commands cleared by power loss notification", followed by some retries later on. The good...
  6. I

Quite possibly. Other units in this house, including this exact one, have been hooked up to PCs running both harddrives powered via a normal PC PSU as well as externals off of the cheapo bricks that came with said externals. In theory it should be fine, but the obvious conclusion is still the...
  7. I

For whatever it's worth, I don't hear any audible fan speed change when the power is pulled, and it does take 1-5 seconds for errors to show up in TrueNAS. Based on that I'd THINK it's unlikely that it's a transition issue, but that's not much to go by. I don't think the UPS would last long...
  8. I

Experiences with NetApp DS4243

With both power supplies and IOMs installed, it makes about the same amount of noise as one of those plug in air filter things. It's fan noise, but mine doesn't make any fan whine, it's mostly wooshing. I'd consider it very tame given that it idles at ~250w when populated with drives, but by...
  9. I

Howdy Not too long ago I picked up a NetApp DS4243 full of drives to finally stop running out of space on my desktop. I hooked it up to an older dell precision workstation running I had kicking around, via an LSI (et al) 9300-8e card, and all running the latest TrueNAS stable. I've also got an...