Recent content by Istria

1. I

Why does downloading torrent increase IO Wait and copying files using SMB doesn't?

Thanks you for the reply. I guess I could test if the random writes are the issue by doing a random writing test (for example copying 10.000 very small files to the HDD), and see if that also increases the IO Wait, correct?
  2. I

Why does downloading torrent increase IO Wait and copying files using SMB doesn't?

Hi all, I was hoping you could clarify this for me. I'm running proxmox on a thin client (HP T630). I'm running openmediavault in a VM and dockerized qBittorrent in an LXC container. When I copy a file from HDD1 to HDD2 via SMB share using File Explorer on my Android phone, the speed is...
  3. I

How to protect a selection of data against bit rot?

Hello all, I have a small OpenMediaVault NAS running on a thin client (HP T630) using 3 external 2TB USB HDD's. Most of this data is movies and series, which are not that important to me. But I'd like to implement a system to protect some 500GB of sentimentally valuable data like family...
  4. I

LiFePo4 to replace external battery for rackmount UPS?

I have not done it myself, but I have built a small LiFePO4 battery before and gained some knowledge about it along the way. First a disclaimer: Opposite to SLA batteries, lithium based batteries can smoke, catch fire and even explode when mistreated or used incorrectly. So always be careful of...
  5. I

4gb drive occupation difference, with identical files on both drives

To be honest I also don't care that much about the exact technical explanation. But I'd just like to be 100% sure all my pictures are still there and not corrupt. And apart from opening every single picture and watching every single video from start to end, the best next thing I could think of...
  6. I

Well, it worked out in the sense I just took a deep breath and went for it. But I still don't understand the 200MB size difference. The NTFS (BACKUPDRIVE) is 200MB larger than the EXT4 drive. If the NTFS drive has 'hidden' resident files, it should show less used space instead of more, correct?
  7. I

After formatting the Seagate to EXT4, I copied all the files back using FreeFileSync instead of copy/paste. The picture above is the result of that. The size difference has gone down from 4gb to 200MB. But as I understand it, it should not be the resident files the way I did it.
  8. I

Thanks. At first I thought that was it, although it didn't make complete sense it was a 4GB difference. If its all <1kB files, there should be 4.000.000 files. And there are only 250.000 files in total on the drive. Assuming the file count does not suffer the same problem. What I did next was a...
  9. I

Hello people, I have 2 external HDDs. 1x Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB (bought in 2014) 1x Toshiba Canvio Basics 2TB (bought last week) Both are NTFS. What I did was copy the entire contents of the older drive to the new one. Simply CTRL-A, CTRL-C, CTRL-V. After finished, I noticed a 4GB...