Recent content by idle_user

1. I

CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Look buddy, I'm only trying to help. You mentioned 90c spikes, so I assumed this was CPU. But now you're saying its your storage?? That can't be right as that temp would be dangerous for the device; it would start to thermal throttled itself. Sudden temperature spikes are NOT NORMAL. It means...
  2. I

If you're getting sudden 90c spikes, it sounds like you have a heat dissipation issue. Have you repasted and checked for good contact?
  3. I

You do know just because a drive has a high theoretical speed, it doesn't mean it's constantly running at that speed and generating heat right? r/w only happen when needed. And the PCIe lane will already be limited to the speed of the connected device. Plus, the math probably wouldn't...
  4. I

This is why you look at the "sold by" info on Amazon. Usually if it's not Prime, it's not sold or shipped by Amazon.
  5. I

Lol you should be fine but that is definitely way too much thermal paste. You only need a thin layer. I get the technique of the blob in the middle and having the pressure spread it out, but it would be more effective if you just spread a thin layer across the die. As for the shim, please take...
  6. I

Which part of the test did it fail on? Is it on a specific test? I ran into an issue where one of my units would fail/reboot immediately once a specific test started. Even limiting the memory test to start on that test number it would happen. What ended up resolving the issue for me was...
  7. I

Oh wow. Good find. Anyone else able to confirm that the switch is for autoboot after power losses?
  8. I

Have you ran a stress test? If it shuts off during a stress test and every other test comes out fine, you might have an issue with the supplies power adapter. I learned that the ones supplied may have issues. I posted a few months ago about my experience. To sum it up, memtest was failing (hard...
  9. I

Yep, that's probably the issue. I have some small fans I can put under the cases. Not sure if I should put it as exhaust or intake.
  10. I

2nd update: Repasted and added a shim on another n305 box I had Results below: I also tried the NVMe heatsink fix (the one for 970 EVO PLUS or similar in a video posted previously), but I am not seeing any difference with the heatsinks I'm using. It's either because the heatsink I'm using...
  11. I

I use prometheus and grafana to track my node stats which includes temperature. You can just install and use sensors on linux to keep it simple $ apt install lm-sensors $ sensors
  12. I

I doubt its defective hardware and just compatibility with the BIOS. You can live boot a small linux OS through USB and run a quick stress tests. You'll see the clocks run normally I bet.
  13. I

Liquid metal is not worth it. Just use regular thermal paste. To ensure proper contact between the CPU die and the provided copper block, you can either apply a copper shim (like what I did) or file down the standoffs a bit.
  14. I

Update. I ran stress tests and it didn't even break past 50C. I thought it was a fluke, so I ran the same test on the other two nodes I have. For reference: I have 3 of those boxes (i3-n305) - all running the same model NVMEs and RAM 2 CWWK, 1 TopTon I replaced the thermal paste and added a...
  15. I

So I opened up the mini pc that was giving me the most heat issues to reapply the thermal paste and check for gaps. Its pretty difficult to see, but I do believe there was a slight gap; but maybe not and the paste is trying to do its job. The thermal paste job done wasn't as bad as others I've...