Recent content by hunterjwizzard

1. H

Folding table

What's a good folding table for doing PC work? I've got a work room where all my computers live; unfortunately the only folding table I have is one of those awful resin ones. I've you've ever used one, the surface just exudes static. When I want to work on a computer I have to drag it into...
  2. H

What is the deal with this motherboard?

As it happens I'm actually running the Z10PE-D16 WS as my main workstation. Awesome workstation board without a doubt, but I had... let's just say "some fun" finding a tower it actually fit in :P
  3. H

Long distance USB?

?!?!?! Someone finally made that a thing?!?! Well, there goes my weekend lol!!! I had commented like 3 years ago on another forum how I wished there was a way to do that with a couple RPis. In fact I even have a pi bolted under my desk already as the one computer actually in the room with me...
  4. H

I am definitely an extreme outlier in every conceivable area.
  5. H

Appalling safety standards aside, after watching a couple of those videos I'm actually really impressed. Not... in... a... "I want to buy one of these!" fashion. Basically, they are reclaiming enough CPUs that it makes economic sense to reclaim the other components, cobble together these...
  6. H

refurbished from WHAT? 0.0 I'm kind of shocked you can take an old motherboard, reclaim parts from it, build a new one, and still sell it for $100 a make a profit.
  7. H

So I've been finding this thing and its variants all over the place on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/x99-Dual-CPU-Motherboards-Socket-LGA-2011-3-Dual-NVMe-M-2-8-DDR4-Up-mainboard/154101112287?hash=item23e1245ddf:g:bngAAOSw0KtfbDTP Some for as little as $100. I cannot identify an actual...
  8. H

Recycling the heat from server room

That would kind of defeat the purpose of recycling heat from the SERVER room, no? :P I would think you could get a better effect using more radiators, right? Instead of just 1 use 6. I dunno. Like I said, haven't got a dedicated server room to experiment with. Also you could theoretically cool...
  9. H

Long distance USB?

I'm mostly concerned with reliability even over getting USB 3.0 speeds. I don't really need to keep enough 3.0 devices in the room with me to warrant all the effort. I do have 1 free and clear cat5e run available to devote to the project, I just need to find a better/more reliable extender. The...
  10. H

Recycling the heat from server room

One of the concepts I didn't see discussed on here was the idea of building a heat reservoir to store and redistribute heat. While its very difficult to generate electricity from waste server heat and fairly hard to find something to do with all that hot air, there are a lot of good potential...
  11. H

Mountainmod Cases

Has anyone bought one of these before? https://www.mountainmods.com/index.php They sell a wide variety of custom cases and, so far as I can tell, may in fact be the only people in the world who make a case that fits my highly unique requirements. But before I blow $500 on a case, I'd love to...
  12. H

Long distance USB?

I have my tower in one room and my desk in another. I've finally worked out the video systems so that works perfectly, but I am now having a tough time making USB work reliably. It used to work ok, but lately anything USB 3.0 just doesn't want to go. I can't seem to find a happy medium between...
  13. H

Weird heat discrepancy

Ah yes. I am no stranger to that problem. Ok, sounds like I can ignore it I guess.
  14. H

Weird heat discrepancy

So I'm not sure if I was having this problem before, but I just had to re-load windows and reloaded speccy as well and left it running for a bit. My motherboard is reporting some strange discrepancies regarding temperatures. Asus Z10pe-D16-WS 2x Xeon E5-2643 v3s 64gb RAM(2x 32gb) 2x nVidia GTX...