Recent content by H8ROADS

1. H8ROADS

FS- HP S6500 Blade w/8xSL390s. Dell R715x3 Mellanox

I'm just looking at ebay and finding going rates to give you a place to start, but best offer for everything. How about $500/each for the Dell R715s $700 for the S6500+blades $1000 for the Mellanox switch
  2. H8ROADS

FS- HP S6500 Blade w/8xSL390s. Dell R715x3 Mellanox

Hi All, I'm remodelling my house and have to liquidate my lab unfortunately. I'll probably end up rebuilding stuff later after the dust is cleared. I have an S6500 HP Blade Chassis that's been sitting for about a year with 8x SL390S blades. Some have dual Xeon 6core procs, some have no procs...
  3. H8ROADS

HP S6500 and SL230s Gen8 - CRAZY deal

I really liked the S6500 and SL390s blades, but the noise was a bit higher than I liked. Not terrible, but not ideal for me. The performance for the footprint was unbeatable for a home lab. Running vSAN with enterprise SSDs on Infiniband was screaming fast compared to NFS, even with the slow 6G...
  4. H8ROADS

Dell R715 iDRAC6 flash repair

Thanks for the insight. After much frustration and research yesterday I came to the same conclusion re: daughterboard. I went ahead and ordered a new one to swap out later this week and give that a try. Unfortunately I have to pause due to some business travel, but I'm hoping the replaceable...
  5. H8ROADS

I've tried doing this, but my COM2 never shows up - still trying to figure that one out. iDrac6 Recovery Through TFTP and Serial
  6. H8ROADS

Hi, thanks for the replies but none of that works or is relevant because the idrac is unaccessible. You can't use racadmin or flash via windows. I'm trying to do the TFTP method but that also is not working, so I'm fairly near declaring the mobo dead.
  7. H8ROADS

Here's a link to literally an exact description of what happened and what I'm seeing. Hoping my only option is replacing the mobo per this thread. Dell R710 LifeCycle and iDRAC6 bad firmware flash
  8. H8ROADS

I have 3 Dell R715s and have been going through hell getting them updated the last couple days. Turns out the Lifecycle Controller was too old to go through auto updates, so I had to find an old CentOS OM disk to get them updated to the point it will work through Lifecycle Controller. Everything...
  9. H8ROADS

12Gb/s ServeRAID M5210 SAS/SATA Controller - $135.40

Agreed...looking forward to hearing your sacrificial tales. This would be great upgrade if I can make it work in my HP hardware.
  10. H8ROADS

Thoughts on USB booting

Sorry, let me be specific. I need to boot to a ubuntu 12.10 server live cd (which doesn't exist), so I created one on USB with unetbootin but I can't get it to boot due to these usb issues..hence the problem. I'm looking into creating my own custom live cd now, but was looking for alternates on...
  11. H8ROADS

Thoughts on USB booting

That's not sufficient, because I need something with writable storage. so I can copy the firmware and utilities to it for me to update. the ubuntu 12 server cd isn't a live cd as the server distros are only installers. ISOs do pass through just fine.
  12. H8ROADS

Thoughts on USB booting

I'm having a hell of a time booting from USB from one of my HP blades. Known good USB thumb drive, and multiple others I've made just to be 1000% sure have all failed. Using the ILO, I've attempted to pass through the USB drive and boot from it that way as well to no avail. I need to boot into...
  13. H8ROADS

Kingston 32GB DDR3 1066 Registered ECC Refurbished RAM Module $83.99 (Tigerdirect.com)

Nice deal, but limit 1 per customer makes it useless.
  14. H8ROADS

pfSense with one physical lan

I don't see the harm in it - though I don't do it myself either.
  15. H8ROADS

HP S6500 8 Node Chassis

Correct, we reached out to the seller Peter @ theserverstore in TX and verified before we purchased. Regarding the sleds, it had none, but a call to Peter and he sent me a bunch of them (along with another PSU to replace a faulty DOA one) for a few extra bucks. It has all the trays, just not the...