Recent content by Gio

1. G

Do any AsRockRack motherboard support v1.35 DDR4 voltages?

That's unfortunate, the AsrockRack IPMI is solid and I need that kind of remote management. I'm thinking of using a gaming motherboard with the newer chipsets (non-X570) that have PCIe 4.0 support. I figure with the savings on the motherboard I put it towards paying for the PiKVM and use that...
  2. G

New NAS build - is M1015 still king?

Is the M1015 still the best bang for buck for NAS builds? In 2014 I purchased and still use an M1015, now that I am building a second NAS while keeping the original still online I am wondering if I should buy yet another M1015 or if there may be something better/newer? My use case: Linux...
  3. G

Do any AsRockRack motherboard support v1.35 DDR4 voltages?

Browsing thru their website for an AM4 motherboard for my next NAS build for home. I need it to support unbuffered DDR4 and v1.35 voltages - looks like I am out of luck? https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=B550D4U-2T#Specifications...
  4. G

U-NAS 810A does it come with SATA PWDIS 3.3v support?

thanks. After shopping around the NSC810A with PSU bought direct from them was close to $400. I ordered a chassis from China and waiting for it to arrive (shipping alone was $90 - but my total cost with a PSU was $220). This is the case I purchased and should receive in the next few weeks...
  5. G

ASRock X470D4U - No XMP settings, maxes out at 3000Hz memory clock?

You are partially correct, this board supports unbuffered DIMMS and does not require ECC. The primary issue is that the board does not by default go above the JTAG memory specifications. Their specs sheet say it supports 3200Mhz but without any changes my ram is running at 2600hz Yep. I'm...
  6. G

ok I didn't know that From another forum, explains it. "DDR means double data rate. So the effective rate (which is what's advertised) is twice the actual memory clock. So memory clock of 1800 MHz = transfer rate of 3600 MHz. Some applications show one, some show the other." I don't see...
  7. G

My new build is based on ASRock X470D4U and 64GB DDR4 3600Hz memory, it looks like BIOS overclock settings don't show speeds above 3000Mhz - anyone have any idea how I can get 3600Hz out of this board? My memory supports 3600Hz = G.Skill RipJaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 3600...
  8. G

August 2021: which models of TinyMiniMicro should I be looking out for deals?

Thanks! going to keep an eye out for these. My plan was to run Proxmox and see about using a cluster.
  9. G

1U Heatsink for AM4 and X470D4U?

I am building a 1U X470D4U based system, which active 1U heatsink do you all recommend? Dynatron 18 is not great according to reviews.
  10. G

August 2021: which models of TinyMiniMicro should I be looking out for deals?

I am looking to complement my homelab with one or two TinyMiniMicro devices. Although the articles in STH are detailed some of them may be a year or two old, my question is - for August 2021 which models are the most recommended for a TinyMiniMicro setup? The lenovo P330 with its extra PCI-e...
  11. G

InWin MS08 micro-ATX Server Mini-Tower

does this chassis SATA backplane support PWDIS v3.3 of the newer sata spec?
  12. G

U-NAS 810A does it come with SATA PWDIS 3.3v support?

I'm considering purchasing the 810A to replace my Lenovo TS440 8x3.5" chassis that's 8 years old now. One of the biggest PITA of my Lenovo is that its SATA backplane is based on an old standard that does not support 3.3V PIN required by most newer hard drives. Sure you can patch the 3.3V pin...
  13. G

Time to upgrade my 5 year old build? Using Xeon E5 2650L v3 (12c/24t) 1.8

Lurker here, about 5 years ago I jumped on the 'intel confidential' bandwagon and build a Xeon E5 2660L v3 server. This continues to be my primary homelab/all-in-one box running Promox and a few VMs but it seems like my setup may have started to show its age and I am thinking of possibly...
  14. G

Homelab Monitoring Platform?

what kind of setup did you end up with?
  15. G

X10SRL-F bad RAM slot or defective CPU?

I had this same issue today and this thread was super helpful. The screw was too tight near the DIMM making the bad contact.