Recent content by Gerhen

1. G

Firewall + Upgrade Home Network to 10G

Was in this position last fall. I looked options from Protectli and competitors and none had a 10G option at the time. Pricing for a semi-powerful 2.5GigE model was also high (to me). I ultimately settled on a refurbished Dell SFF with an i5 cpu and 16gb ram. I added a 256gb nvme SSD and a dual...
  2. G

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Several posts knocking 9.x so thought I’d chime in with a counter example. For me, been running 9.x since late 2023 including 1 or 2 updates since (I forget) and it’s been stable. Configured with the router firmware for the home environment (not a lab): a few vlans with ACLs and 8 PoE devices. I...
  3. G

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Decided to try the latest 200.15 and everything is working. For reference, we mainly have Apple devices and have 3 R710 APs set up around the home per BW’s guide.
  4. G

Big Multigig (2.5 / 5 / 10) PoE++ with QSFP+ / QSFP28 switches

Better than eBay by quite a bit. This was late last year.
  5. G

You could always try Juniper CPO this way you could opt to purchase a support contract for firmware updates. I contacted them late last year for a EX2300-24MP and pricing was reasonable. https://www.purewrx.com/contact-us/
  6. G

There's one on eBay at the moment: Juniper EX4300-48MP Ethernet Switch | eBay I had earmarked the Aruba R8S89A as a possibility but like the rest of the switches you listed ... too expensive at this time. HPE Aruba Networking CX 6300M 24p Smart Rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G Class6 PoE 2p 50G 2p 25G...
  7. G

Got the same switch, same firmware and not seeing that on any of my APs. Have you tried using other ports on the switch?
  8. G

Help with IPv6 routing issues on dual-stack LAN

Hi @RecursiveG, thank you! I tried your suggestion, and the results surprised me, trying to wrap my head around why. With static route configured as you said and np proxy deleted: /48 with next-hop as 2001:x:x:255::1 ... everything works, I can ping VE's on Brocade and end clients and...
  9. G

Hi all figured out my issue and posting here in case it's useful to others. I needed to configure two additional things: 1) On the firewall I needed a static route back to the Brocade. I configured it to span entirety of my assigned /48 e.g. 2001:xxxx:xxxx:/48 to eth1 which is the physical...
  10. G

Hi all, Trying to set up a IPv6 on the LAN to mirror the subnet deployment used with IPv4 (e.g. main network, IoT, guest, etc...) Rather than use a local address, I'm trying to use the global unicast /48 I received from HE and split it across the various subnets. My issues: Firewall cannot...
  11. G

If you already set up the licenses then upgrading to 09 won’t change those.
  12. G

Your config shouldn’t be impacted when you upgrade. I normally run the copy tftp system-manifest command and direct it to copy into the primary flash memory to start. If the new firmware is runnning stable, you can then copy primary to secondary. If it isn’t stable…you can always fall back and...
  13. G

Hi all, Have my ICX running the routing firmware and wondering if there's a better/preferable/more secure way to write ACL rules to permit mDNS/Bonjour traffic across VLANs? The rules I’ve added work, but are fairly wide open. I’ve limited traffic to tcp only and ports > 1023 to add some...
  14. G

Canada Ubiquiti APs and Switches

Hi all, I'm putting my Ubiquiti equipment for sale. These are all fully functional and were pulled from my home network. Photos are attached. I'm located in Montreal and would prefer to connect with local buyer rather than ship these out. I've meticulously kept all boxes, manuals, and any...
  15. G

FYI very minor fixes in that release.