Recent content by geerlingguy

1. G

Ampere Altra Q64-22 + AsRock Rack ALTRAD8UD does not POST or power on

Noctua now has two coolers announced (though not available through any retail channels yet...) for Ampere, both seem to work great (Patrick tested them: https://www.servethehome.com/making-arm-desktops-viable-ampere-altra-noctua-nh-d9-amp-4926-4u-and-nh-u14s-amp-4926/
  2. G

ASUSTOR FLASHSTOR NAS with 6x/12x M.2 SSDs, 2.5/10 GbE

It's running ADM (ASUSTOR Data Manager), a custom fork of some tiny Linux distro, and it uses mdadm for standard RAID, or Btrfs optionally. No ZFS support at this time.
  3. G

That's... not bad at all! So you just had a single 10G adapter on the Elite Mini, and that went into a switch with both 2.5G ports plugged in? (And do you have a 10G card in that box, or is there some 10 Gbps USB adaptor I haven't seen before?
  4. G

Indeed—for me, the main question is (with either model, but more specifically the 12 bay unit): can it saturate the 10 GbE port continuously, and does it have good low-latency access with reasonable storage configurations? E.g. my use case is an edit NAS with 4x 1 TB NVMe drives (decent ones...
  5. G

Supermicro Xeon-D 1521 CPU operating temp

That's the exact heatsink that came with this motherboard; I just didn't like the whiny fan on it, so I popped the fan bracket off, and taped a Noctua 60mm fan to it (wish they made a 50mm), and adjusted the expected fan speeds in ipmi. It's running great, though it would be neat to build one of...
  6. G

Heh... I'm using a 2U Mini ITX enclosure (this one: 19 inch 2U mini-ITX case short depth), and it has less-than-optimal airflow for server heatsinks. The direct front-to-back airflow is hindered by the IO shield and slot placement, and the only exhaust fan is on the other side of the enclosure...
  7. G

Sorry for the necro on this thread, but I just finished swapping out a little 50mm 6000 rpm fan from my D-1521 heatsink to a 60mm Noctua, and now it's silent, though it does go from about 40°C to 50°C at idle. But it stays well below 100°C under load. I ran it without a fan for a few minutes...
  8. G

10G-SFPP-T slow in one direction

I just wanted to say I've also encountered the same issue (and wrote up my full experience in a blog post)—I was using FLYPROFiber SFP-10G-T-30M transceivers and all my 2.5 Gbps devices had the exact same problem: full bandwidth from 10G devices to them, but extremely spotty/slow bandwidth in...