Recent content by Fallen Kell

1. F

Basic advice for fiber in the home?

Also in terms of "basic advice" for fiber in the home, run conduit. If you don't have the tools and experience to splice fiber or install terminations, you will probably be running pre-terminated fiber, and as a result the width of the conduit will need to be larger. You also need to pay...
  2. F

SuperMicro server questions for use as a JBOD DAS?

The IPMI would probably work, but without CPU/RAM the fans will not run as the BIOS will effectively shut the system down when it hits the checks for CPU/RAM, finds none and powers things down. Don't you have an existing board with the 2x Xeon L5630 and LSI controller? Those CPUs are...
  3. F

The 140mm's would only fit if you remove the power distribution board and the hot swap power supply cage (or remove the hard drive backplane and supports, but that kind of defeats the usually purpose of this chassis). The 3x120mm fans will fit in the same spot as the fanwall divider where the...
  4. F

Just wondering why you have ruled out just using the 846 chassis for the server? You can swap out the motherboard easily with any ATX or E-ATX (up to a certain length) board. The only issue you can run into is the power distribution board not having enough EPS cables to support some of the...
  5. F

Super noisy Quanta AMD EPYC Daytona Rome Server

I use a bunch of Dell R6525 servers at work that have dual AMD EPYC 75F3 (which are the next generation, and are 280W TDP vs the 225W TDP of the 7742). These run loud and hot when in use. Even at idle they are still pretty loud.
  6. F

SC846 system gifted to me - A full overview with questions. Replacing DVD drive with SSDs? Ideas for upgrades or keep what I got?

You can always pull out an engineering or framing square to see if all the corners are square. You will then be able to see which sides have gone out of square and can attempt to shift them back into square with some wood blocking/framing and leverage.
  7. F

SC846 system gifted to me - A full overview with questions. Replacing DVD drive with SSDs? Ideas for upgrades or keep what I got?

You might be experiencing a few different issues at the same time and not just a single one. I have seen strange problems with SATA DOMs that resulted in similar issues as some of the pauses and failures you have seen for booting. If you can, I suggest booting from USB/DVD and see if you can...
  8. F

I had not thought of using 3M dual lock for this, but once you said it, it makes sense. I use it on my guitar and bass pedal boards to anchor the various effects/pedals and the stuff works great in that application. You really don't need much as it locks together much stronger than velcro and...
  9. F

You don't even really need to 3D print the internal bracket for replacement fans. You can simply remove the fan wall bracket that is in there and use double-sided tape and/or zip/twist ties to connect 3x 120mm together directly and just slot it into the same spot in the chassis, holding it in...
  10. F

Since no one has answered this, I would say that is something of a mistake replacing the BPN-SAS-846TQ with a BPN-SAS2-846EL1. Yes in theory you would think the SAS2 was better, but the BPN-SAS-846TQ is actually direct passthrough, meaning it is capable of SAS, SAS2, and even SAS3 speeds, you...
  11. F

Do you really need 2x MCP-220-84603-0N? I didn't think that would fit even without the rear CDROM bracket. In mine, I am running the slimline DVD and I have the MCP-220-84603-0N bracket which let me install 2x 2.5" internal drives. I am doing something very similar to you, except what I did is...
  12. F

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

You would be surprised how many places are doing this now for security reasons. Its a lot harder to tap into without detection.
  13. F

Active vs Passive Heatsinks (in Supermicro Chassis)

Well, there is most certainly a use case in which you swap out the super high noise fans for much slower moving and quiet ones. At which point, you then need to install heatsinks with active cooling to make up for the loss of airflow in the chassis. Overall, you can make the system a lot...
  14. F

Cost effective 40Gbe and 10Gbe - Brocade ICX6610 to FreeBSD, VMWare ESXi, and Windows

I don't know about flashing on a windows system, as I flashed them from freenas (after compiling and installing the full suite of tools). I think there are easier ways to flash from some linux distro's which you wouldn't need to compile everything. Once they have been flashed, it carries over...
  15. F

Forcing DNS Setting Possible ?

How is that even possible to not cause problems from a technical point of view? There are PLENTY of services/applications that simply communicate based on IP address and not perform a DNS query. I would start flooding them with hotlines about applications no longer working when trying to...