Recent content by Ez101

1. E

Xeons with an open multiplier

I believe it does. Most Asrock boards support it. I think the Asus WS might also
  2. E

Black thanks - I have the x99 board but could shelve it and do x79. There are OeM 1680v2 for 319 but boards are very high. Or I could get the 1680v3 QS for 369. I know there are threads for QS. If someone knows of one please share link but I can’t find one talking about the e5-16xx Xeon QS...
  3. E

Yeah, I see your point. I started this out thinking I'd be able to put in a xeon when prices come down, yet they haven't yet on the LGA 2011-V3. I saw the 1680v3 QS for about 360 and got interested again. The 5960x for example I see online usually for about $500+. Maybe I should just sell...
  4. E

So sorry meant v3 What do you guys think about the cpu z pic I uploaded
  5. E

I believe it is stepping “2” Hard to know exactly but this is the CPU id picture
  6. E

Hi did anyone confirm 1680v2 overclocking? I've seen some come on sale that were QS and showing CPU Z with 47x100 multiplier. But that is at 1.449 volts which seems to be crazy high. I did end up grabbing an x99 ASUS Rampage V board for about $100. The QS 1680 v3's can be had for $350-400...
  7. E

I'd definitely like more than 6. At least 8 and ideally I'd be in a position to have 12 cores. The fastest performance I have seen on the x79 is from the E5-1680v2 and that's $400. Yeah the RAM is one main reason I wouldn't do the x99 now or even why I just don't do the main stream set up. I...
  8. E

At this point would you guys recommend I try this out with x79 or buy a x99 motherboard and wait for prices to come down? I have been reading all the threads and researching like crazy this weekend - call it a binge lol. But I'd enjoy a project like this. I could just wait for the coffee lake...