Recent content by evanmarc

1. E

Epyc 7313P - H12SSL-CT WIP Server

Good to know. I'm starting to lean toward getting a non-hot swappable case. I can get a better quality case and I don't have to worry about the hardware failing. I'm looking at updating the drives to enterprise at this point. I want this system to be low maintenance and while consumer drive...
  2. E

I'm glad to be wrong. :) That means I can drop the controller, hookup the HDD to the SAS (SAS-to-SATA cables) and pass the 3008 to TrueNAS. If I'm understanding the manual correctly, that means I have SATA 0-7 available for other drives.
  3. E

I wasn't aware of SAS expanders, but that sounds like a much better option. You are correct. The plan is to pass the HDD to TrueNAS and have the host control the m.2 (proxmox) and SSDs (VMs).
  4. E

If my research is correct, the 2 SAS and 6 of the SATA ports use the came chips so I'm limited to either SAS or SATA. I would love to be wrong because that opens the number of drives for me. The controller serves 2 purposes: Gives me enough SATA ports to connect all my hard drives; and Allows...
  5. E

Honestly, I picked a controller that would allow me to include my 8 HHD with 2 SSDs. However, I have no problem switching to a different controller (like the LSI 9211-8i). It looks like I would need to get 2 cards to support the the 10 drives.
  6. E

Hello everyone, I'm getting ready to build my first server (with actual server parts) and want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. This will replace my existing i7-3770 server and will use as a NAS and running data automation tasks. OS: Proxmox (w/ TrueNas Core VM)...