Recent content by Evan

1. E

VMware End of Availability on Many VMware vSphere Editions

As was expected by just about everybody , let’s see I know some corporates did deals before it closed that will see them doing fine for years to come but the little guy pretty much may choose to run away and use hyper-v, proxmox, or other options. Will know soon enough how this goes down.
  2. E

CSE-E301

Not really sure as I am not in the USA or Europe but could be some market. $150 and you can always find out but yeah could find it not sure easy to sell the case, rather limited market probably but on the other hand they fit mitx and flex atx boards and have front back cooling done some TMM...
  3. E

AMD EPYC Embedded 9004 Series Launched

Difference to standard parts by features, lifetime (longer), availability, some industrial temp range parts etc. they are intended for storage arrays etc.
  4. E

CSE-E301

Never found it but now the case is available as a standalone item so while it’s not super cheap also not so expensive buy the new case and then just sell the old one after swapping ?
  5. E

No legacy boot option for X12SDV-* Xeon D-1700 boards

I guess ‘legacy’ is depreciated Useful info to know for a lot of people
  6. E

Singapore - Apple MacBook-pro/iPad/etc, Supermicro items

All prices are SGD ! Strong preference to sell everything in this post + probably a few other things in one go for $4500 If somebody for example wants a bundle all the apple stuff, or all the SM e5 gear or whatever just drop me a message. No shipping, pickup my place due to size. Big clean out...
  7. E

HPE ML110 Gen10 - Let's discuss...

I don’t try a higher TDP CPU but I did try 64GB rdimms and it was a no go, and of course it also doesn’t support LRDIMM so 192gb is the limit For me the limit the issue has is really memory as there is enough cores but never enough ram got a home system.
  8. E

Alternative to HPE Smart Array e208i-p

Never tried the H240 on ESX with raid but it performs exactly as expected when used with vSAN. Probably doesn’t give much insight really but if used in HBA mode it’s certainly an equal to the newer controllers for the most part but doesn’t support mixed more of course and I am sure even the...
  9. E

From spinners to SSD

SQL server is most likely windows and possibly Linux but that wound have been released after the hardware indicated. but same thing you need to dig into the performance statistics to see if it will actually make a difference.
  10. E

Alternative to HPE Smart Array e208i-p

I have a H240 in a gen10+ microserver no issues, running Linux but got me wondering if putting in a p408i-p you use the battery from the blade system the 12w one ? Wonder if they run hot or how they would go in a microserver.
  11. E

Strange item on this HP motherboard

We use it for domain controllers, bitlocker for portable devices. gives you some idea of what it’s useful for. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-r2-and-2012/jj131725(v=ws.11)
  12. E

Strange item on this HP motherboard

It’s a TPM version 1.2 module for a HPE of G6/G7/Gen8 kind of vintage Gen9 also had a version 1.2 & 2.0 option but was different and gen10 2.0 is different again. Can be removed if you don’t have a use for it but it also won’t cause any harm.
  13. E

Tyan BIOS Updates

Honestly Dell and HPE are on top of firmware updates the best as far as I can tell. Supermicro are good. Good support is part of the product cost really.
  14. E

QCT at MWC 2022 and a Look at Some Great Server Design

OBM daughter board is a very neat idea !
  15. E

Supermicro Fanless Intel Xeon D-1700 at MWC 2022 and More

These systems need dimm heat spreaders and high temp capable ssd.