Recent content by EngineerNate

1. E

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Hi all, I've got a weird one with my 7450-48P. Updated to the latest firmwares on Fohdeesha's site. It's powering an ubiquiti unifi 6 enterprise happily right up until I plug a desktop (not Poe) into a neighboring port. Then no PoE on any port works. I could watch the light go out on the AP as...
  2. E

I guess I misunderstood the original question, I thought he was saying that it was reachable from outside the VLAN. I understand now and the behavior you describe is what I was trying to convey.
  3. E

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you create a VE it should only be exposed on the vlans you put it in right? If you run the command: no router-interface ve 1 Inside the vlans where you don't want that interface, that interface shouldn't be accessible in those vlans right?
  4. E

Wanted to drop by and say thanks to Fohdeesha again, I updated a second one of these switches last night using his guide and no hiccups. The first I had to step up the firmware a few times before 8090 would take, thing was waaaay old on the firmware side. No problems once it finally got up to...
  5. E

Under the 7250 section click the link for the post with detailed info, it has a series of commands that will full license the switch for free. :)
  6. E

First post in this thread has all the info you need.
  7. E

Sorry I missed this, this last year was bonkers and I didn't get to play with the switch at all after I got it! Looks like fodeesha answered the question for me though. Shame it doesn't have that flexibility, though with the 4x10g modules being so cheap it's not a huge loss.
  8. E

E5-2640v1 to?

The ConnectX-2 is a PCIe 2 card so I guess that's not it. I'm curious if maybe I put it in an electrically PCIe 1x slot or something. Though that wouldn't explain the asymmetrical nature of the problem.
  9. E

Building a Lab Part 3 Configuring VMWare ESXI and TrueNAS Core

If it's specifically built as a lab I'd think concerns about storage availability would be slightly less critical.
  10. E

E5-2640v1 to?

Could this (The PCIe limitation) explain some intermittent 10gbps networking speed issues I have on that box? I have ConnectX-2 cards in there and it randomly gets stuck at ~2.5gbps speeds in iperf in one direction only. (I can't remember if it's testing to/from that server that's the issue)...
  11. E

New Home Build Wiring Recommendations 2020 Edition

I think having copper anywhere you want an endpoint that's not a PC/Switch is still a good idea. Also hard to do PoE over fiber. ;) One of my main purposes in getting a wired connection up to my second floor is that I can then punch ethernet up through the ceiling into the attic (I have a stub...
  12. E

E5-2640v1 to?

Found some info on the power consumption: https://www.servethehome.com/dual-intel-xeon-e5-2620-v1-v2-v3-compared/ Should scale across the different CPUs pretty reasonably. Across 4x CPUs v1 to v2 might be a worthwhile power consumption drop along with a bump in performance.
  13. E

E5-2640v1 to?

I'm capable of comparing the specs, it's more the practical side I'm curious about. v3 would take a new server correct? I believe that jumped to a new socket.
  14. E

E5-2640v1 to?

Hi all, My lab/NAS/Firewall setup currently consists of a Cisco C220 m3 and an Intel S2600gz system sold under the Penguin Relion badge (running stock Intel bios). Both have been rock solid stable with E5-2640v1 processors and IIRC 48gb of ram per. Both are running ESXi 6.7 and I have my...
  15. E

New Home Build Wiring Recommendations 2020 Edition

I agree with your plan to run both SMF and MMF fiber for your edge switches/PCs. Fiber is cheap and which type is cheapest to get the connectivity you want with a given type of equipment seems super variable. I bought F/UTP shielded for my house. To simplify termination I ponied up for the...