Recent content by efahl

1. E

CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Be aware that the vendors often play games with the "shipped" date to keep AE off their back, and they might not actually ship for a few more weeks. I'm not sure if CWWK falls into this category, but there are documented cases of Topton (and Hunsn?) playing these games.
  2. E

CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Grab https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/23.05.2/targets/x86/64/openwrt-23.05.2-x86-64-generic-ext4-combined-efi.img.gz Make a boot USB (I think I used an Ubuntu one I had laying around), copy img.gz to the drive. Gunzip it to a raw .img file. Boot your n305 with the USB and just dd it to...
  3. E

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Do you have dmidecode on the router? This should work on both BSD and Linux-based routers: $ dmidecode -s bios-version JK4LV105
  4. E

Yeah, that's fine. If it sits that high at idle, then you may need to do something, but for full load that's actually pretty good. For comparison, my big workstation (16-core, water cooled) will hit 85-90 C when I load it up with a 2-million-line compile ("make -j 32"), but drops back to 35-45...
  5. E

Yeah, definitely looks like a hardware issue. Mine shows all four, just like that first screenshot: $ lspci ... 01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Sandisk Corp WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD (rev 01) 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 125c (rev 04) 03:00.0 Ethernet controller...
  6. E

I've been curious for a while, have any of you measured the power delta between with-fan and no-fan? I.e., how many additional watts does the fan draw?
  7. E

I also have that model, it idles at about 40C and hits 50 when I push traffic through it. I'm running OpenWrt, so the load is much lower than with a VM host and all that entails. I did rework the cooling solution by disassembling it, removing 0.4mm from each mounting post after measuring...
  8. E

My back-of-the-napkin math came to the same conclusion. I looked up the symbology on the PSU supplied with mine, and it is in the 87% efficiency class. Assuming that this isn't a lie (no reason to doubt it, the PSU feels cool/ambient temp all the time), then improving efficiency would cost a...
  9. E

I just used my Ventoy USB, already had an Ubuntu bootable (or maybe Fedora? Mint? got a bunch o' distros it) to it, copied the OpenWrt img to it, booted the N5105 from the USB, dd the img to /dev/sda and rebooted. I don't think it took even 10 minutes to get OpenWrt booting on the device.
  10. E

I have had mine on the powermeter for about 6 weeks now, and its average over that time is 9.1 W (that's with two NICs in use and very low traffic). I have done various experiments, say running iperf3 via loopback (so two instances talking to each other) and CPU goes way up, but power hits...
  11. E

Yeah, I prefer OpenWrt, too. Much faster than pfSense/OPNsense for everything I do. My main router is an APU2 (AMD Jaguar x86) running the release version of OpenWrt with SQM (cake), secure+private DNS, NTP, server, a couple dozen firewall rules and whole-house ad blocking; the CPU never...
  12. E

Well, I just ordered one of those model-C versions a few hours ago. My application is bare metal router, so minimal CPU torture, but I got that one because I'm curious how the thermals compare to the beefier cousins. If you can wait a week (ha ha, more like a month!) until I get mine, I'll...