Recent content by edge

1. E

Broadcom Agrees to Purchase VMware Shaking Up the Industry

Did CA take under Broadcom? Broadcom's strategy reminds me of bottom feeding CA's: the place where technology goes to die.
  2. E

Parents of STH - what is/are your solution(s) for Internet management with kids?

I sort of did the same, but with a moderate stick. I run snort as my IDS. My oldest (now 10, but at the time 8) wanted get on discord (I really don't like discord content). Rather than block it, I put in a snort rule that disabled his internet access if he visited discord and did it...
  3. E

Running from DC (48V up to 60V), pico-psu (DC-ATX) considerations, alternatives.

I would suggest a higher capacity UPS over going to DC. You are likely to lose any efficiency gained by DC to the isolation circuitry required in your devices' DC power supplies.
  4. E

Recommend some Samsung Enterprise M.2s?

Why Samsung? You cannot get firmware updates for enterprise drives from Samsung.
  5. E

a site copies STH's post?

ooh, that is bad behavior
  6. E

From spinners to SSD

I agree with Evan: you need to look at the SQL Server stats to determine if upgrading the storage will make a difference. I also do perfmon logs so over time so I can see how the hardware is being used at differents points in the day. The biggest performance gains I have made have always come...
  7. E

Shoehorning Duallies (2xE5-2696V3)

2CPU was fun in its day.
  8. E

NTFS Volume Cluster Size Limitations

Tree access times degrade with depth due to iterative searching. To keep access times acceptable, larger size storage pools require bigger cluster sizes to keep the tree search iterations down. Higher bus and memory bandwidth assuage loading the larger blocks. Same thing occurred in memory...
  9. E

Strange item on this HP motherboard

I use it everywhere I can, zero trust.
  10. E

Bothering to know what it does and take advantage of it will do some good. This is not the internet of the early 90's. It is way more hostile than it was 5 years ago, and I am not talking about social media.
  11. E

Linux fully supports TPM. A good overview is here: Trusted Computing » Linux Magazine
  12. E

True, I find very few homes with their own certificate authority. I hope you aren't self signing your certs.
  13. E

A TPM is a hardware root of trust. It is necessary for securely booting a system and preventing boot root kits (ensures firmware validity). This is true regardless of the operating system you choose to load on your system. This is very basic security knowledge.
  14. E

Is it just me?

Domain. I also host a couple of web sites, but the script kiddies are hitting the ip with the usual dumb password attacks on ssh which isn't exposed. I expect to get hit by the script kiddies about 4 to 8 times a day, lately it has gone up to 12 to 20 times. The sites are getting hit with...
  15. E

Is it just me?

I have a .net domain and for the past week the script kiddy and dos attacks are 4x what they were prior to that. Unsophisticated and ineffectual, but annoying. Anyone else seeing this in their IDS logs?