Recent content by ecosse

1. E

HP P410 controller failure

Oh well, that was my experience on an intel board - s2600cp2. You are right though there were other boards where I didn't need to do that. Sorry that was my best idea - other than try to firmware flash it again if you can.
  2. E

HP P410 controller failure

With another HP card (H240) on non HPE hardware I needed to disable the boot BIOS for the card on the motherboard PCI-E configuration - otherwise the server hung. So you can't do anything in the boot up but you could use the OS array management tools once booted. Not ideal. Doesnt seem to be...
  3. E

FS - Cisco UCS 5108 chassis and 6120xp fabric interconnect

Never mind loud do you need a second mortgage to pay the electricity bill :) I agree though its a fabulous set of kit
  4. E

UK 4x Supermicro X9 Twin-node 2U servers. Seeking help on pricing for sale as lot-of-4.

Its a good deal fella IMHO even though its only v1/v2 support. if I wasn't trying to downscale I'd be all over this. I'm still tempted.... must resist!
  5. E

ESXi 7.0 and lower cost SAS/SATA RAID

I have 4 or so H240 raid cards - I've not used them as RAID drives but note I've had varying degrees of success in whitebox servers. I think I had to disable the ROM BIOS for the PCIE slot it was in to get it to work on a supermicro board. I also found the performance questionable at best -...
  6. E

What is wrong with my drives?

If you can try one outside of the current RAID card? This could be worth a look... https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-uk/000137199/seagate-logical-block-guard-messages-after-an-instant-secure-erase Getting error "Add. Sense: Logical block reference tag check failed" or "guard check failed"...
  7. E

Nutanix CE

I realise I am resurrecting this thread from beyond the grave but what is the feeling on Nutanix CE - worth a test drive?
  8. E

JBOD/DAS enclosure in EU

I see quite a few Xyratex JBODs on ebay - all 6gbps but might be fine for you - not sure if they are short enough for you? They are supposed to be pretty quiet for a JBOD. The other option is to buy a case and one of those Supermicro jbod boards / an expander etc i.e. make your own.
  9. E

Quanta D51B-2u PCIE slots

Anyone know / understand how the Quanta PCIE slots work? I've bought one of these; they have a couple of risers in, one is 2 x 8 slots, the other sports a 1 x 8 slot and a 1 x 16 slot. It was sold on the basis that 2 PCIE slots would work - I have only 1 CPU in at the moment so this may be the...
  10. E

Anybody need a PB of storage?

I've a couple of the 102 drive ones. They are locked to Ultrastar drives in theory but older HGST drives work as to WD Reds; at least in my experience - def no Seagate! I do keep thinking one day the floor will give in and that will be the end of that :)
  11. E

UK HPE MicroServer Gen10 Plus (Pentium Gold G5420) - £377.47 inc. VAT

I dont think this is a good deal but its cheaper than most sites I think https://www.serversplus.com/Servers/Tower-Servers/HPE-Tower-Servers/P16005-421
  12. E

EU SOLD !! 2x 2.41TB - Fusion-io HP ioDrive2 Duo MLC PCIe

I used one of mine as a game drive for Steam / GOG etc - it hasn't complained so far :)
  13. E

AU Quanta M4600H Ultra-Dense 4U Disk Expansion Unit 60 Bay 2x 6GBPS 60 Trays

Looks a good price - haven't done any research on this since its in the land of the oz.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quanta-M4600H-Ultra-Dense-4U-Disk-Expansion-Unit-60-Bay-2x-6GBPS-60-Trays/184571141159?hash=item2af94c1c27:g:grAAAOSw8d5fzvzV
  14. E

K8's On VMware

Thank you - will take a look
  15. E

K8's On VMware

Hi After some advice - whats the "best" (if any) way to go on a bit pf container action. I've a cluster of a couple of ESXi servers under vCenter on 6.7u2. I'm using a a pair of FusionIO drives with a Storevirtual virtual san (lefthand) to give me a shared storage layer. My identified options...