Recent content by dswartz

1. D

Fibre channel HBA running at slower speed?

Go figure. Out of paranoia, pulled both HBAs, reseated them, and... 8gb/sec. Time to knock off for a stiff drink lol.
  2. D

Okay, so a bunch of digging: one box is a supermicro 1U with a single x8 (but seems to be electrically x4? - maybe the riser did that? the manual seems to say 3.0, but ok.). I had no spare server, so I pulled out my old gaming desktop that has 1 X8 3.0 slot and a couple of x1 slots (unused)...
  3. D

Well, I also tried a 10gb DAC that works fine as an ethernet cable. No difference. Both cards are seated in 3.0 X8 slots, so this is a mystery. I may go the route of upgrading FW in both cards, but then again 400MB/sec isn't awful either :)
  4. D

For my homelab, I ebay'ed a qlogic 2562 and 2 2560 HBAs. Idea is that the 2 hypervisors will have their storage on the san. SAN is an esos run from memory distro. So the HBAs are 8gb because that seemed adequate (hyper-v doesn't need that much disk power, AFAIK). The ESOS appliance...
  5. D

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I doubt charter residential cable will allow you to peer BGP with them...
  6. D

Yeah, I don't get the hate for L2 firmware. I've got 2 fortigate firewalls that do all the routing I need in my home lab.
  7. D

Most of my rationale is because I have a lot of experience (job and hobby) with routing&etc. Switching, not so much.
  8. D

I've never felt comfortable with the idea of an L3 switch. I like to keep routing and switching separated.
  9. D

the icx6150 is the tofu version of a beefy switch :)
  10. D

I had something very similar happen!
  11. D

Wish I could help. My grumble about rackmount stuff: the nuts everyone provides have the same outside square size to fit the rack posts, but I've found that when you order a set of nuts and bolts, the nuts and bolts are not always the exact right size between different vendors. e.g. sometimes...
  12. D

You beat me to it. Yeah, you need to be up and running to do that, but both flash partitions were borked. "Can't get there from here". What I ended up doing: 1. Login to 7250 stack with my iphone and delete the LAG. 2. Unplug one of the LAG cables at my end to avoid STP issues. 3. Move the...
  13. D

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I flashed new FW to primary. Ran for a week ok. Copied primary to secondary. Now, both partitions are running the new FW. I did try booting from the secondary but it failed the same exact way, which I found odd, to say the least. At that point, I had no usable...
  14. D

Yes, much to my embarassment. This is not my first rodeo, but I ****ed up. After 1 week of okay, I thought 'ok, I can upgrade the secondary!' What can I say? Duh...
  15. D

Well, that was NOT fun. We live in a semi-rural area. Lots of power glitches and tree limbs taking out power lines. I'd say we get 1+ hour outages once or twice a year. Long enough the UPS can't keep the switch&etc up. 08.0.92bT211 was the good release I was running. Power comes back, but...