Recent content by Drexlin

1. D

SuperMicro 826 Backplane Connections

Right... there's no additional room for 4 more drives. One last question (from my original post): What is the chip on my motherboard labeled "SAS CTRL" for? Thank you to everyone for the help!
  2. D

Ah yes, understood... bandwidth is a concern. Thanks for pointing that out. Is it possible to use the second port on the backplane to connect to a second HBA port? Or am I correct in that it's only used for cascading systems?
  3. D

Understood... but my backplane is an expander, so it will work with one cable? (By "work", I mean I can use 12 drives).
  4. D

Ok, I think I understand... to clarify, if I didn't have a backplane (expander), I could connect 8 physical drives using a breakout cable to the HBA. But since I do have a backplane, I allows me to connect to the HBA with one cable. Correct?
  5. D

@nthu9280 Thanks for the link! I am in the US. Follow up question: When the description says it has 8 physical links, does that mean it only supports 8 drives? Or am I way off base here?
  6. D

tldr; What cables do I need to connect my backplane to my motherboard so that I can have 12 drives? Do I need an HBA? Hello all, I could use some help here. I'm new to server hardware and I'm trying to figure out what I need. So please correct me if I say something that is inaccurate. I'll...