Recent content by doppler_shift

1. doppler_shift

Can I escape ThreadRipper PRO with AM5?

Looks like there are at least 3 Supermicro TRX50 boards planned; look here. The individual product pages don't work yet but I'll take it as a semi-confirmation that they're coming.
  2. doppler_shift

Can I escape ThreadRipper PRO with AM5?

Just want to comment on this that the non-PRO TR 7000 will have 48 PCIe 5.0 lanes but also an additional 40 32 PCIe 4.0 lanes and 8 PCIe 3.0 lanes for a total of 88 lanes (48 + 32 + 8). How TRX50 motherboards will use/divide them remains to be seen though.
  3. doppler_shift

Asrock Rack Epyc Rome/Milan and Threadripper Pro motherboards

That and also if you were thinking of using a freight forwarder like Shipito or Stackry or w/e then Provantage happily cancels orders to freight forwarders claiming the items are restricted from global shipping, depending on the item.
  4. doppler_shift

EXPIRED Micron 7300 MAX 3.2TB 80 USD

Managed to snag two for $75 each before it ran out, thanks OP!
  5. doppler_shift

EXPIRED Intel P3605 1.6TB NVME 2.5" $55

Only got my 4 drives today (thanks eBay International Shipping - never using that again). They all run firmware 8DV1RA13 and show up as 98% health remaining, and here are individual SMART stats: Disk Power on count Power on hours Total reads (GB) Total writes (GB) 1 306 37520 684 47 2...
  6. doppler_shift

Still worth it imo even with the cost of cables (you can find deals on those as well), *if* you get a decent quantity of these drives and assuming they're not shot to hell; should be fine given they're rated 5 DWPD for 5 years which comes out to about 14.6 PBW. I'm still wondering where to...
  7. doppler_shift

You could get something like this which is pretty cheap and connect 8 drives to it. The other issue is where do you physically put 8 of these drives - they will need some sort of airflow on them.
  8. doppler_shift

Ryzen AM5 boards with IPMI

Looks like there's a new contender in this niche from Supermicro.
  9. doppler_shift

EMC KTN-STL3 15 bay chassis

Thinking about doing something similar, but one thing I haven't found much information about is how to properly rack-mount these units into a rack meant for servers (mine is 29" deep). Do the EMC rails (100-560-184) work or are they too short? is there an alternative?
  10. doppler_shift

Where are the DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

The SR6G7UD5385MB one (non-extended temperature) was recently added to the ASrock Rack B650D4U memory QVL though I still can't find them for purchase anywhere online.
  11. doppler_shift

Ryzen AM5 boards with IPMI

Assuming you're talking about this system then it doesn't natively support U.2; judging by the pictures they seem to be using one PCIe x4 to SFF-8643 riser card for the first U.2 and then an M.2 to U.2 adapter for the second U.2. If you fancy a 4xU.2 system with one of their AM5 boards you...
  12. doppler_shift

Build advice - virtualization server

For the bulk storage probably going to start with 4 or 6 spinners configured as two-way mirror vdevs for a ZFS pool. For the VM storage I'm thinking one 3 DWPD drive for the ESXi store and then pass-through two fast/cheap 1 DWPD drives (think PM9A3) to the main PostgreSQL VM and configure them...
  13. doppler_shift

After scouring forums and reddit, my general plan for the build: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X Motherboard: ASRock Rack B650D4U Memory: Micron 2x32GB DDR5-4800 ECC UDIMMs (I'd go for 2x48GB ECC UDIMMs but I can't find them anywhere, and also considered going 4x32GB but looks like currently going 2DPC...
  14. doppler_shift

I'm trying to decide on a cost-effective virtualization server build. The major workloads are C++ compilation related; CI/CD, tests, GH actions runners, etc. - all big hogs in terms of CPU power which benefit greatly from single thread performance, especially since most of the C++ code is...
  15. doppler_shift

ASRock Rack B650D4U MicroATX for Ryzen 7000 processors

Can you expand on your passthrough problems? I'm planning to build a nice little server out of this board and a 7950X and wondering about ESXi 8 viability, specifically passthrough as I'm planning for an LSI HBA passthrough to a ZFS appliance and maybe a couple NVMe devices as well.