Recent content by dontwanna

1. D

DDR3 DDR4 RAM price trends thread.

There's a trend toward switching from cloud providers to your own hardware, seems like it started around 2023 and is still a thing. This could be one possible reason for these price hikes: companies were selling their own hardware and switching to the cloud, hence the prices kept going down so...
  2. D

Tesla P4 - 8GB / US$ 100 or even lower

No, I'm running Proxmox. Nothing unique about that VM with licensing server though - it's just a clean Ubuntu VM with FastAPI-DLS, so should work the same in ESXi.
  3. D

Yeah, that's the same questions I've been asking myself. None of that made any sense to me. Register a trial account for 90 days, download the current drivers, and then, if you want new drivers later, you'd need another trial account, and so forth. Seems like way too much trouble, so I just gave...
  4. D

No, it doesn't require any patching, the official nvidia grid drivers work. That polloloco's guide pretty much covers it all, except how to acquire the drivers (other than the trial workaround, which is tedious, especially if you don't have a "business" e-mail). There's a github page where one...
  5. D

The best cooling performance I've managed to get so far was by removing the front plate from the card, and pointing a large fan at the (now exposed) heatsink. Not always an option, since the card with 25mm fan(s) then takes up ~ 3 slots instead of just 1, and might be tricky to keep the fan(s)...
  6. D

Those HGST 3.84Tb SN260 drives and Cisco firmware...

I don't know about Windows or EFI command line, but I just flashed UCSC-NVMEHW-H3200 (3.2 TB SN200 U.2) straight from the Supermicro motherboard BIOS (X9DR3). The disk wasn't recognized by OS, and I initially thought it was dead, but the motherboard's BIOS sees it and after updating the firmware...
  7. D

Updating the HGST HDD & SSD firmware

Of course, take whatever time you need, thank you.
  8. D

That would be awesome! This is how it looks.
  9. D

Thanks, sg_write_buffer worked for updating HUH728080AL5205 disks. I'll check out HUGO next time, when I'll be updating the batch of AL4200 disks. By the way, I've got a HUH721008AL5205 disk that came with D384 firmware. I wonder whether there's newer firmware for this model available anywhere?
  10. D

Could anyone explain how to select the mode (-m) in sg_write_buffer? I've got some HUH728080AL4200 and HUH728080AL5205 disks that came with 907 firmware, and thinking about updating them to the latest versions posted on hddguru, which seem to be AD05 and DD05. This should work, right? #...
  11. D

Firmware Enterprise SSDs - SM1625, PM853T, and others

I guess since most people use sg3_utils on Linux, the previous poster just assumed that you were talking about some other, less known Windows(-only) app, hence the interest. sg3_utils is a very well known piece of software and there's plenty of guides on how to use it, including these forums as...
  12. D

Help Wanted: Supermicro x10SL7-F Now stuck in infinite boot loop

Could you please clarify what stability issues you had with 3.3 exactly? It's just 3.3 has some security and CPU microcode updates that are probably worth having. My X10SLM+-LN4F doesn't seem to show any problems with 3.3, but maybe I just haven't ran into any yet, so I wonder what to expect.
  13. D

Solarflare SFP+ 10Gbe cards

In Windows, sfupdate doesn't do that, it updates "both" ports. But the fw version is older, and I don't know whether it's possible to somehow extract newer fw from the Linux sfupdate and use it for updating in Windows. But yeah, cards work fine just like that, so I never bothered tinkering with it.
  14. D

Solarflare SFP+ 10Gbe cards

Hi. No, I didn't have multiple cards installed, I was also updating one card at a time. Since these are dual port cards - that's how they're displayed in sfupdate, as 2 separate adapters, but it's just 1 card (with 2 ports, each called an "adapter"). I've still no idea why linux sfupdate does...
  15. D

PDB-PT825-8824 vs PDB-PT825-S8824

Yes, PT825-8824 should fit, it is the standard PDB designed for SC825 chassis after all. I'm just trying to build a simple home lab setup as cheaply as possible. For a 4 node cluster, 4* PWS-920P-SQ would cost me $340 shipped, and 4* PWS-1K28P-SQ are $150 shipped. I'd like to get at least one or...