Recent content by dmitry.n.medvedev

1. D

Dell PowerEdge T640 as a Workstation : Powerful and Silent.

Ah! Much appreciated! Now I understand how it works ( and it worked ).
  2. D

@ElCoyote_ good morning. I have a problem with getting signal from NVidia Quadro p2200 - no signal goes out of it. I tried another GPU ( which known to work in a PC ) with the same result - no signal. Have you ever experienced this type of a problem in your Dell T640? And if so, how did you...
  3. D

good morning, nice community! one more question please: I would like to find out the part number of the GPU Air Shroud for a T640. I have contacted Dell community, but a Dell representative urges me to call official ( payed ) support which I would like to avoid for obvious reasons. best...
  4. D

Dell Poweredge T640 8x3.5" chassis AND nvmes

okay, here is the plan: 2. first of all I will install the HBA330 and start buying SSDs ( not sure which exactly, 6g? 12g? ) 1. install the FreeBSD onto the BOSS s1 and check if it is usable w/ the hardware 3. in some future buy NVMe adapter and start buying disks. one by one. let's see how it...
  5. D

ah, now I think I understand the pcb fixture issue. thank you! I am going to give a thought to what @ElCoyote_ suggested. PS: also, many thanks for pointing out info regarding the HBA330!
  6. D

I believe you are talking about this ( please see the photo ). the top compartment differs in width from the bottom one just a tad, but the difference is visible.
  7. D

okay, it seems that no nvme conversion kit/nvme backplane for a Dell T640 8x3.5. damn it. fine. maybe I will be able to source a 5.25 cage, put it above the 8x3.5 compartment, put 4 nvme drives in there and connect each one of them to a HBA330. what do you think, gentlemen? will this setup work?
  8. D

PS: dell community support suggested "you could order from our sales team a conversion kit for up to 8x PCIe SSD (NVMe)" ref: Is there an NVME conversion kit for T640 8x3.5? | DELL Technologies
  9. D

oh... in fact I just want to convert this server to a fast developer machine. This is all I want. I don't want huge storage capacities or a fancy GPU. Just fast I/O, fast networking, FreeBSD + ZFS, a ton of RAM, and that is it there is to it. do you think what I am trying to do, does not make a...
  10. D

ha! I talked to the seller and the seller is positive that this particular kit won't fit in the 8x3.5 chassis of mine :( I am confused who to trust, since it is quite pricey
  11. D

I found this: DELL POWEREDGE T640 8 BAY SSD PCIE HDD NVME EXPANDER BACKPLANE, CAGE, AND CABLES | eBay is it the conversion kit you mentioned? also, I have contacted the seller, but he is certain the kit at the link isn't going to fit into the chassis of my server :( I am a little bit sceptical...
  12. D

hi @pimposh , thank you for your prompt reply. could you please explain to a newbie in layman terms what is "backplane power in" and "backplane pcb fixture plates"? as far as the number of drives are concerned I haven't made my mind yet. If U.2 NVMEs are doable, then I would probably employ 4...
  13. D

good morning, nice community. The Context: I have purchased a used Dell T640 in the 8x3.5" chassis with a couple of silver CPUs, a bit of ram, and a BOSS card. I would like to convert it to a fast workstation w/ FreeBSD and ZFS. By fast I mean I would like to employ U.2 NVME drives. The...
  14. D

hi, first of all, this is super insightful post :) enjoying it a lot. Also, it looks that this is the only post on T640 as a workstation. I have a couple of questions about a similar machine. Let me start with the context first. The Context: Dell T640 8x3.5" chassis. Two silver CPUs. A bit of...
  15. D

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

good morning, gentlemen. I am still reading this thread ( rather insightful and overpacked with knowledge ) and the following picture diagrams my fantasies on how I should build a home lab using brocade, some transceivers and cabling. at the top left corner you will find four tables defining...