Recent content by devlinse

1. D

JBOD controller

Seconded. Member drives are all directly addressable in the even of other member drive failures. If you don’t duplicate the folders you lose files on the failed member, but the absence of the disk doesn’t impact the files on the remaining drives.
  2. D

Giant Pooled Drive Help! 800TB

I only use it in a home 1Gb context (although 10Gb is on the cards) and it’s fine performance wise - have never once thought it was a bottleneck on a 60TB pool. What I like the most though is that because it’s a layer over regular NTFS, if a non-duplicated drive fails, all the other files across...
  3. D

Storage Spaces vs. RAID

I had a crack at it and write performance sucked (migrating several TB took several days) and in the end just didn't really feel comfortable with it - there are operational problems such as spaces going offline when full which are annoying. I fell back to lots of RAID10 instead.
  4. D

PERC 6/E + Norco 4220 + MegaCLI enclosureID funnies

Updating my own ageing post. In the end, I picked up an IBM M1015 and rigged it up with a HP SAS expander. I did establish though that the chassis is a 6Gbps unit (red caddies rather than blue IIRC) so happy days - sadly it's already jammed full of 3Gbps drives but...) The two cards happily...
  5. D

Not a lot of point with the 4220 as it's 3Gbps (as are all my disks).
  6. D

Actually, I note that if I boot the machine and go into the card BIOS, the LED Blinking function is disabled when browsing to the physical disks, so perhaps it is a lack of support. I'd be interested if anyone with a PERC6 and one of these has that function available.
  7. D

Hi Patrick, thanks for this. I suppose the question was more, how do you make megacli work when there isn't an enclosure/expander? Having said that, some of it may have been syntax problems on my part (megacli isn't exactly friendly) and I've made some progress. At least now I can query a...
  8. D

Hi folks, I've been following the site for a while and its been very insightful :-) And now predictably, comes a question :-) I've a Perc 6/E hooked up to a (I think) Norco 4220 (it's been rebadged). It's all working fine. However, I'm having a devil of a job figuring out which slots in...