Recent content by DedoBOT

1. D

Seagate Exos 2X14 Mach.2 500MBps Hard Drive Launched

So , this is just two hard drives in a single enclosure and you need to set somehow the 2 volumes of 7tb in raid 0 to achieve the proclaimed speed of 500+ MB/s , right ?
  2. D

Hardware advice and some Soft/architecture

In the home NAS field , my choice is Solaris11.4 + napp-it, hardware (second hand mostly) Intel system, LSI controllers, Intel based NICs. 4k native HDDs is a plus. You can't go wrong with this combo . Oracle have perfect documentation/manuals about Solaris. Im not using napp-it anymore , cause...
  3. D

NAS Build: Xeon vs. EPYC 3000 vs. Ryzen

5. I'm not familiar with actual epyc's motherboards. My latest build is x11spfw-tf , now I will definitely go with epyc zen2 platform. 6.Flexibility when sh*ts happen . With spare HBA on the shelf you can swap the dead one in minutes. In case of motherboard's fail you wil be in pursuit of broad...
  4. D

Have a problem with supermicro h11dsi

Did you try with just one RAM module ? MBs sometimes gets picky with all slots populated.
  5. D

My fault . Physical x16 , of course x8 is enough for 10gbe and 8port HBA. The kid is crawling at my back, so excuse me :) By the way . I will not risk with the onboard sata ports via the chipset. Dedicated HBA on pci slot is way better approach . I prefer it even before build-in MB sas...
  6. D

Epyc system. Cause the 8 memory channels. Zfs loves fast RAM. 10gbe Nics are around 100 bucks in ebay. P.s. I'd go with epyc mb with 8 ram slots and at least 2 pcix16 - one for 10gbe ,the second gets the HBA .
  7. D

Dream combination: Usermanagement + Filer + Internet/ Cloud connectivity

Thanks, you gave me idea to play with it the upcoming week.
  8. D

Dream combination: Usermanagement + Filer + Internet/ Cloud connectivity

Did you try NextCloud with file transfer plugin . I was fighting with it a year ago but did not liked the outcome and end with good old solutions of uncoupled VNC and sFTP . Crude but just 4 remote reliable users .
  9. D

Cache plans for ZFS server

To much philosophy, real life shows this / no compression or SSDs involved / : time mkfile 20g ttt real 0m4.638s user 0m0.144s sys 0m4.445s :D
  10. D

Cache plans for ZFS server

What Gea said. I will add that the bottleneck will be the 1gbs network , not the filler itself.
  11. D

WTB: Ubiquiti Edgeswitch-16-XG or MikroTik CRS317-1G-16S+RM

I bought it brand new from local retailer . The price was joke compared to others options . I dig in the online reports, come across initial complains but I found they was resolved with the firmware updates and "pulled the trigger" . Obviously , not regretting it :)
  12. D

Not yet - still have few unused ports and at this point Im not listing for more of 10gbe connectivity :)
  13. D

9 months with Edgeswitch 16 xg, not a single issue. Mixed second hand sfp+, all of them works. Link aggregations are fine. No problem to saturate 10gbe if the hosts can do it.
  14. D

Supermicro boards - why do they POST so slowly?

Intel's MBs aren't different . Have few SM and Intel boards - roughly equal boot times. Yes, it's irritating , especially when you're on hurry :)
  15. D

Recommended NAS for 800MB/Sec Sequential on 10Gig

Raid 10 from 8 HDDs @250MB/s must be enough for single client/file. Usually , the NAS performance's headache starts with the network and transport protocols . In a scenario single client working with single file the LAG barely helps .