Recent content by Deano

1. D

ConnectX-3 direct connect to ConnectX3, Type A or Type B Cable?

My cable just came in from China and when plugged in immediately worked and the network is up and running! (12 core, 20 meters, £37) Thank you to everyone: Rtech you were right in You first post my 24 core cable was the wrong fit. prdtabim thank you for saying to get a B type cable, that one...
  2. D

Here you go, the cable is two "rows" and one "hole" at either end. (All 4 Pictures slightly different angles, Camera wouldn't focus) transceiver is one "row" and three "holes" at either end. (2 different pictures, both of these came out clearer) Do i have the wrong cable? the wrong cable...
  3. D

The only intel thing i could see going to the network part of the main site was https://www.servethehome.com/silicom-p4cg2bpi81-dual-port-100gbe-intel-e810-bypass-adapter-review/ I'm assuming this is new and expensive. I just want to connect two computers at home, I'm unlucky, I got the...
  4. D

I made the room upstairs as dark as possible, couldn't see anything up against the white wall in a dark room, everything just remained dark.
  5. D

I have no idea which cable type the Finisar FTL414QL2C-E5 QSFP 4X14Gpbs use, but i think i was given a direct link to the transcievers and cable at the same time and told to buy them together, so maybe the 8 and 12 wouldn't even fit it, this kinda makes things more difficult as it now could be...
  6. D

unfortunately it has to travel all the way up these stairs and then a small distance back into this room I was planning to use the circled floor cover, but I think up the wall will be safer.
  7. D

I took a couple of quick pictures, they seem to be seated right upstairs downstairs Thank you for the links, I think I need to get a 13 meter cable if I want to run the cable up a wall and down the other side safely, I was planning to run it under a Cable Concealing&Protecting Floor mat, but...
  8. D

I can't be sure, but I have tried to plug in the transceivers a few times on different days, I tried using the other port too in each card. Then on seperate days i've tried putting the cable in again, today I even tried to layed the cable out flat and swapped which end is plugged into which PC...
  9. D

The one I have was listed as Prolabs OM3-24C-MPO/F-13.72M , I think it's 24 core, I'm still not sure if it's the problem part as i don't have duplicates of anything. I can't seem to find any on ebay like that one though as a replacement (plus the prices on Ebay for these things has shot through...
  10. D

When buying a replacement cable to try and get my ConnectX-3 to ConnectX-3 direct connect between two computers working should my MPO/F to MPO/F cable be type A or type B? My cable which i suspect doesn't work, I have no idea which type it is as the official websites page doesn't seem to...
  11. D

Mellanox ConnectX-3 Cards show as cable unplugged but I could have done almost anything wrong.

Thoroughly checked the Transceiver both for how far it's plugged in and if it's the right way up, pulling back on it won't release it, only the tab does, and trying to turn it up the other way won't even let it plug in half as far, it just stops. The transceiver also makes a good clicking sound...
  12. D

Mellanox ConnectX-3 Cards show as cable unplugged but I could have done almost anything wrong.

Oh wow, that could be a very important both for now and if i get into this further and get some more PC's, Switches and Network cards, the pulling-on-it check! That's good design, Mellanox seem very clever.
  13. D

Wow! if it's just that, then that would be incredible, once my VM has finished encoding tonight's videos and I wake up i'll spin down the Unraid Array and try to plug everything in again the other way up. Here's hoping! (and hoping I didn't do any damage)
  14. D

So it's my first network that wasn't plugged in via a telephone cable or a Cat Cable and my first server (Unraid - I'll call it Upstairs Computer) I'm really enjoying having a file server and VM's to do my video production remotely from downstairs without making Downstairs Computer basically...
  15. D

Have I accounted for everything needed for a 40g direct connect

I have no idea how to x-flash anything, from the link you provided it looks like installing the card and then running some things in cmd prompt, is that right? If so and the instructions have everything i need i think i can do it (hopefully.) sounds like good practice for when i swap my main PC...