Recent content by DavidB

1. D

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

anyone else has a 7250 (non-POE) that idles around 80 degrees? trying to figure out if this is normal for a 7250, I got it unused NIB but even with fan running the temps seem a bit toasty
  2. D

EU Consolidated FS thread (Quadro 6000 - NVDimm-N, Xeon's, SAS Controler, SSDs, Ruckus and more)

got any X10SRI or similar single socket X10 motherboards left?
  3. D

I hope it's that now the ICX 7250 and ICX 7450 are the best value as I just picked them up for cheap NEW IN BOX on Ebay, after you change your OP to recommend those it will be months until they're cheap again (if ever). Currently flashing them with the help of your guides, keep up the awesome...
  4. D

anyone got experience in replacing the SFP+ cages in a 6450? The one I bought is missing the retaining clips, probably because someone yanked SFP+ modules out with some force and without unlocking them.
  5. D

EXPIRED Xeon Gold 6134M $420

don't forget that the CPU is just a fraction of the cost of a platform around those Scalable Gold units. At that cost you can also get a second gen Epyc platform using a 7282 or 7302 with double the performance, double the PCIe lanes (and PCIe 4.0), nearly triple the max memory capacity
  6. D

And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

One thing when updating the BMC: if you have previously disabled bonding the update re-enables this even with "keep network configuration" checked and you will lose access on any custom IP to the BMC.
  7. D

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Too bad it doesn't have 2.5GbE ports instead of 1GbE, otherwise this would have been a near instabuy for me.
  8. D

When using 0x40000 the S_BMCMAC.EXE just gives you "allowable value out of range" and doesn't even enumerate the MAC addresses you already have hence I guess that you just had a 0 too many
  9. D

for those coming to this thread and seeing a big FAIL when executing the above command, the offset posted has a 0 too many. Windows: BMCMAC.EXE u=0x4000 Linux: BMCMAC u=0x4000
  10. D

How hot should DDR3 10600 get?

you will want to check your machine health monitor, normally RAM has temp monitors built in and the typical temperature for DDR3-10600 (I assume ECC RDIMM) should not exceed the mid 40 degrees C (44-45C is normal). There is a high chance that the heat spreaders are the cause of this heat and if...
  11. D

Connecting Fiber Directly to a Managed Switch

@moriel5 an EdgeRouter 4 + a POE Switch is probably cheaper, more quiet and more power efficient than reusing + shipping old enterprise gear. EdgeRouter 4 + TP-Link TL-SG1218MPE for example. You will need to route and firewall outbound traffic, so you'll never be able to only use a switch to...
  12. D

Connecting Fiber Directly to a Managed Switch

If you are just looking to convert your FTTH from fiber to RJ45 as cheaply as possible I would recommend getting a simple media converter like the TP-Link MC220L. Also keep in mind that the SFP module you'll need is likely specific to your provider (wavelength wise) with many networks using a...
  13. D

Different Xeon Scalable CPU`s in Asus C621E Sage.

While possible under certain circumstances it's not recommended at all. Here's the old Intel guidelines for mixing XEON CPU models
  14. D

I had this exact same problem and RMAed the board. Seems to be a common problem with the first batch of boards as Asrock support commented to RMA right away. You have a first production cycle board given the BMC/FW version. If you depend on a removable backplate you're pretty much out of luck as...
  15. D

1U Heatsink for AM4 and X470D4U?

the real kick in the nuts for me was that I RMA one of my early release X470D4U boards which had a non-glued backplate and received one with a glued backplate in return. Not all is lost tho, the Noctua mounting system allows you to use the original screws from the black retention clips through...