Recent content by Davewolfs

1. D

Can’t bring pool back online

After running zpool export. I am able to import with the missing slog. Thank you.
  2. D

Can’t bring pool back online

Greetings, I recently updated my ESXi and in the process somehow one of my NVME data stores got toasted and I am no longer able to bring my pool back online. The device was used as a slog. When booting I see an error that an IO device has been retired. Running zpool status results in just...
  3. D

Optane Slog Passthrough (Or Alternatives)

@vangoose The SSD I am using is not consumer grade. So definitely a bad driver but seems to be resolved with BSD 12. I haven't had any issues with OmniOS and the VMWare NVMe controller. It's too bad the project is running on skeleton support.
  4. D

Makes sense. That is good to know about vfs.zfs.trim.enabled=0 I should try that on 11.3 to see if I can pass the diskinfo test.
  5. D

Interesting that you mention that. I tested with Freenas 11.3 too using the setting I mentioned above. When running diskinfo I continually got an error on 256k size. Had no idea why. It’s probably related to Trim. 12.x doesn’t have this problem. OmniOS dev is so quiet there doesn’t seem to be...
  6. D

@gea Now that I have things working I was able to run some tests. Running on FreeBSD 12 since that is all I can get to work. 1. Using a true passthrough. root@freebsd:~ # diskinfo -wS /dev/nvd0 /dev/nvd0 512 # sectorsize 100030242816 # mediasize in bytes (93G)...
  7. D

Here is a little bit of an interesting thing. Did not work with the FreeBSD 12 installer. Things kept going into an infinite reboot unless I set things to safe mode OR (found out afterward) made sure the CPU was set to 1. After reading this: 203874 – [patch] MSI/MSI-X interrupts don't work...
  8. D

Thanks @gea Is there any hope this will ever be fixed? The fix from VMWare is documented in the link below. I don’t believe I have any issues with Linux pass through. Even FreeBSD 12 seems to be broken. VMware Knowledge Base
  9. D

I just picked up a p4801x and am trying to use it as a slog. Passthrough does not seem to be possible on OmniOS issue looks similar to here: Bug #11809: Support for P4510, P4600 NVMe passthrough on ESXi 6.7 - illumos gate - illumos If I start the system, the kernel will panic right away and...
  10. D

Any new Supermicro motherboard on the pipe for EPYC Rome?

Personally I am more interested in this for a workstation. Had a 920 for years. Got the 2670s when they cost next to nothing. Considering threadripper.
  11. D

The motherboard lineup for AMD is pretty limited. Wish things would speed up. I wonder why the lack of support.
  12. D

If it’s hard to use all your bandwidth with PCI 3 how do you use it all with PCI 4?
  13. D

Is it ok to use Motherboard SATA for ZFS?

Could it be that only recently motherboard hardware has become relatively stable?