Recent content by dag

1. D

Mix 10G 2.5G, slow speed, high Retr

After extensive testing, I can confirm the AQR113 works just as good as the AQS107 by introducing PAUSE frames to control the port while the host believes the port is synced at 10GbE. *BUT* All the switches I have on hand accept the AQR107 just fine, while some just won’t take the AQR113 no...
  2. D

$125 - (Dell Labeled) Aquantia AQS-107 SFP+ to RJ45 NBase-T Transceivers

All the Dell-branded Aquantia SFPs do not support speeds <5GbE (so no 2.5GbE or even 1GbE). The PHY syncs, but not a single packet goes thru at speeds <5GbE. The Aquantia chip inside is labelled AQR107A, the "A" version is a crippled version made by Aquantia for OEMs like Dell who didn't want to...
  3. D

Fair enough, I didn’t realize. If you give it a shot, please report back.
  4. D

They seem to be 88x3310-based, stay away
  5. D

I did a bit more research and found the original datasheet for the AQR113, circa 2018, before Marvell acquired Aquantia. It clearly says the 113 supports the same rate adaptation mechanism as the 107 (via PAUSE frames). I find it interesting Marvell chose to remove this kind of details in...
  6. D

Yeah I suspect they're the same company, and spektykles is correct, they all seem to be made by the same OEM anyway. You may or may not get an ASF-10G2-T when you buy the ASF-10G-T, seems to be hit or miss, you don't really have an option as far as I can tell. I don't think they really...
  7. D

You know me too well. Confirmed.
  8. D

Well, I'll be damned. I just got the HiFiber one, tested it, and lo and behold, here is what I get: *** 2.5G both ways *simultaneously* * RJ45-> Switch [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth [ 4] 0.00-60.00 sec 16.3 GBytes 2.34 Gbits/sec sender [ 4] 0.00-60.00...
  9. D

Let us know what you find out, including brand/model, esp. since the AQS107 is next to impossible to find at this point. Some user on Reddit reported some success with hifiber, but he didn’t perform a full blown iperf test, I’ll try to get one on Amazon and will report (I have a feeling I’m...
  10. D

AN-N2103 describes exactly what I’m saying, the use of PAUSE frames. It also says it applies to AQR-xx7, -xx8 and -xx9, i.e. the AQR-107 and its siblings. It makes no reference to the AQR-113, but to be fair the document predates the release of the AQR-113. The NXP engineer in the forum seems...
  11. D

Yes and no. I tested dozens of SFPs with Marvell, Aquantia, Broadcom and even more esoteric chips. Many indeed do show up as 10G SFPs on the MSA/switch side, and negotiate whatever NBASE-T speed they can on the RJ45 side, but the vast majority does not adapt the rate well, simply because they do...
  12. D

Do you have a link for the module you’re referring to? You can find the “secret sauce” for the AQR107 (the chip inside the AQS107) in its datasheet: I can’t find the equivalent in the AQR113 datasheet. It may support it, but there’s no reference to rate adaptation aywhere, so someone would...
  13. D

GBASE-T transceivers performance with NBASE-T - Marvell 88x3300 v/s Aquantia AQS-107

I have the fibermall module you mentioned, and another one from FS using the same Broadcom chipset. They do perform marginally better and run slightly cooler than their Marvell counterparts, but it’s not very difficult if you ask me, the Marvells are junk. I never tried to push them to their...
  14. D

GBASE-T transceivers performance with NBASE-T - Marvell 88x3300 v/s Aquantia AQS-107

I believe the newer Ubiquiti RJ45 SFP uses a Broadcom chip instead of Marvell, and if that’s the case, yes, it will likely perform better. We don’t have this specific model, but we have a couple of Broadcom-based SFPs from fs.com, and we’re happy with them. No need to open the SFP to check, the...
  15. D

$125 - (Dell Labeled) Aquantia AQS-107 SFP+ to RJ45 NBase-T Transceivers

Sure. And as long as it works for you, no need to do anything. But take the same module, connect it to a 2.5GbE switch instead of your modem, test it in both directions via iperf, and see what happens. It's based on a Marvell 88x33x0. I have worked with dozens of those. They work ok as long as...